Information for Students
For Undergraduate Students
To qualify for participate in the ceremony and be listed in the program you must:
- Be registered in the classes that will complete all your outstanding degree requirements.
- Have a Graduation Application on file in the Degree Services Office by Friday, October 28, 2016. If you have not done so, please complete your Graduation Application. After this date, late additions and listing in the commencement program cannot be guaranteed.
- Once your Graduation Application is on file with Degree Services, your name will be added to the Undergraduate Candidates list on the commencement website through weekly updates.
For Current Master's and PhD Graduate Students
To qualify for participation in the ceremony and be listed in the program you must:
- Submit a Commencement Application (Walk) Form requesting to participate in commencement. This form is due in the Graduate School.
- Contact the Graduate School (email@example.com) if your plans have changed and you are not completing your degree this or next semester.
- Once your Commencement Application is on file with the Graduate School, your name will be added the Graduate Candidates list on the commencement website through weekly updates.
For Master's and PhD Students Who Previously Graduated and Who Wish to Attend Commencement
Please contact the Graduate School (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you:
- Have not yet confirmed your attendance (even if you have indicated planned attendance on your “Degree Completion” form).
- If you are a PhD candidate, please also contact your advisor and have them confirm their attendance with the Graduate School (email@example.com, 906-487-2327)
- Would like to defer attendance to a future commencement ceremony.
Information for All Students
Commencement Ceremony will be held on Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 10:30 am in the SDC Wood Gym.
Graduates should arrive no later than 9:45 am. Family members should be seated in the audience and not with the graduates. The ceremony lasts approximately 2 hours. The SDC Ice Arena and Wood Gym are tobacco and alcohol-free facilities.
Commencement Rehearsal will be held on Friday, December 16, 2016 at 1:30 pm. Rehearsal lasts approximately one hour. You do not need to wear your cap and gown.
- Undergraduate students will line up in the SDC Multipurpose Room and will proceed into the SDC Wood Gym. Signs will be posted by the department and then your name. Simply find your department and get in line.
- Graduate students will line up in the middle of the SDC Multipurpose Room. Find your name taped to the floor and get in line.
- ROTC commissionees will march and sit together and will receive recognition from their commanding officer. ROTC commissionees will line up on the lower level of the ice arena.
Commencement Tickets may be obtained by presenting a photo ID at the Buyback Window at the Campus Bookstore, between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm beginning Monday, December 5, 2016 through Thursday, December 15, 2016. You may receive up to five (5) tickets at that time. Tickets are not for specific seats, commencement is an open seating event.
Out-of-Town Degree Candidates arriving in Houghton on Friday, December 16, 2016 or Saturday, December 17, 2016 should contact the Central Ticket Office at 906-487-2073 and advise of their late arrival and make special arrangements to claim their tickets.
Students who need extra tickets: On Friday, December 17, 2016 any extra or unclaimed tickets will be distributed from the SDC Central Ticket Office on a first-come, first-served basis.
Seating is available for guests with mobility issues (wheelchair, walker, etc.). Please contact the Registrar's Office, 906-487-2319 or firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, December 9, 2016. Space for wheelchairs will be provided; however, Michigan Tech is unable to provide wheelchairs.
A sign language interpreter will be present throughout the ceremony to assist the hearing impaired.
Caps and Gowns
Students participating in the Spring Commencement will purchase their caps and gowns beginning in February.
ROTC commissionees are dressed in uniform and do not wear academic garb.
International graduates or graduates who have studied or volunteered abroad
Indicate your global status by wearing an international graduation sash. Sashes depict your country’s flag and are designed to add distinction to your graduation attire. Sashes can be ordered directly through Vision Wear.
Commencement Photo arrangements have been made with a professional photographer to take a photo of each degree candidate as they are congratulated on stage. Ordering information will be mailed to your home address or emailed within 4-6 weeks. Please make certain that your current home address is on file with the Registrar’s Office.
Other Questions? Undergraduates students, please contact the Registrar’s Office, Room 130 Administration Building, 906-487-2319 or e-mail email@example.com. Graduate students, please contact the Graduate School, Room 414 Administration Building, 4th Floor, 906-487-2327 or firstname.lastname@example.org.