You want your résumé to be a strong and effective summary of your education, skills, and experience. Employers spend less than 10 seconds reviewing your résumé before placing it in the ‘yes’ or ‘no’ pile. Make it powerful and effective by providing evidence that you possess what employers are looking for.
"No Selling, Just Telling"
What To Include..
You’ve done a lot of really great things — especially as a Michigan Tech student. Include what’s most important to employers in a concise way, for example:
- Hands-on experience — technical and problem-solving skills
- Communication skills — teamwork, interpersonal, writing, and presentation skills
- Leadership — co-curricular; on and off campus
- Provide numerous and specific details of how you’ve already thought and acted like an engineer, accountant, technical writer, psychologist, data analyst, chemist, anthropologist, biologist, forester, or physicist.
Provide numerous and specific details of how you've already thought and acted like an engineer, accountant, technical writer, psychologist, data analysis, chemist, anthropologist, biologist, forester, or physicist.
Make a Strong Visual Impact
- Consistent formatting with balanced symmetry and spacing
- Bold, defined topic headings and categories
- Clean sans-serif font, such as Arial, Calibri, Helvetica, or Tahoma
- Font size no smaller than 10
- Information provided in as few characters as possible