Preparing for Career Fair
The Michigan Tech Career Fairs, both
Career Fair Tips
It is important to you throughout your college career and as you graduate to prepare for the Career Fair before attending. Your efforts to secure an interview and get that dream job is greatly enhanced by how well you prepare before the big event.
Logging onto Handshake is one of the most important ways to prepare. Employers post information sessions, interview sessions, and job openings through Handshake. Apply for jobs with your favorite company before attending.
You should also consider these words of advice before attending the Career Fair:
Tips: Preparing for the Career Fair
- See which companies are attending, who they are looking to hire, and their location at the Career Fair.
- Identify what companies you are interested in and think about why you want to work for them. This will go a long way when talking with a recruiter.
- Prepare by attending Career Services Career Development events.
- Develop a plan. Who do you want to talk to? In what order?
- Visit the websites of the companies that you plan to speak with to learn more about them.
- Print at least 20 flawless resumes. You may not be able to or want to visit with that many companies, but you just never know what will happen.
Tips: Attending the Career Fair
- Try to get to the job fair as early as possible.
- Consider which "gym" you want to visit first. There are two gyms and two separate line-ups.
- Know your class and work schedule, so you know when you’re available for interviews.
- Dress professionally - it's expected and impressive.
- Don't be afraid to walk right up to company representatives.
- Introduce yourself with confidence, a smile, and a firm handshake. They want to meet you!