ATTENTION: All appointments will be held via Zoom until further notice. Please call us at 906-487-2538 or email us at email@example.com to schedule an appointment during our drop-in hours.
We understand that there can be a level of discomfort in seeking counseling, so we want to put your mind at ease on the process of your first appointment with Mental Health Services.
Below is a walk-through of what it looks like to establish services with a counselor. If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact us prior to coming in.
Once you realize that you may benefit from speaking with a counselor, you will contact Mental Health Services by calling the front desk at 906-487-2538 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a spot during our drop-in hours, which are offered daily. Hours are posted at the beginning of each semester. during our scheduled drop-in hours, offered daily.
- Once your spot has been reserved for that initial appointment you will be emailed
a consent form, which needs to be reviewed, completed and returned to email@example.com.
- Drop-in hours are on a first-come, first-served basis, so you may have to wait or return at a later point to be seen. If you are experiencing an emergency, please share that information when reserving a spot.
Your counselor will email you a Zoom link inviting you to join the meeting just prior to your appointment.
- The counselor you meet with during this initial appointment will be your counselor, unless there are special circumstances that warrant changing to a different counselor.
Prior to asking any questions, the counselor will review the confidentiality policy with you and check to see if you have any questions about the policy before moving forward with the assessment.
- The counselor will ask you questions regarding what brings you into counseling and
what your needs for counseling may be.
- This appointment is intended to be a brief assessment to gain understanding of the concerns and needs of each student coming in. Expect to meet with the counselor for about 30 minutes during this initial appointment.
- If at any point during the assessment you are unsure of the question, ask for clarification.
- If you begin to experience a crisis while being asked these questions, let your counselor know. We want to make sure you are in a safe place before you leave our office.
Once the counselor has finished asking questions, you will have a chance to ask any questions or address any concerns you have.
- After your questions are answered, you and your counselor will walk through our stepped-care model utilized by Mental Health Services and establish a preliminary treatment plan.
- Finally you engage in the treatment plan, whether it being individual counseling, group counseling, attending Husky Hour or a workshop.