Face Coverings Required in Enclosed Public Spaces
Under Governor Gretchen Whitmer’s extended “Stay Home, Stay Safe” executive order, all persons are required to wear face coverings when entering enclosed public spaces, including campus buildings and workspaces, where social distancing cannot be maintained.
Michigan Tech strongly encourages employees to provide their own personal face coverings in alignment with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance:
- Fabric face masks should be made of new, tight-weave cotton fabric (e.g., quilting cotton, denim, duck cloth, canvas, or twill).
- Employees must wear their face mask at all times indoors when social distancing cannot be maintained.
- Face masks should be worn over the mouth and nose and should not be worn dangling around the neck or on the chin or forehead.
- Employees should not touch or adjust their face mask. If they do, they must immediately wash their hands per CDC guidelines.
- After removing their face mask, employees must immediately wash their hands per CDC guidelines.
- Fabric face masks should be laundered in hot water daily.
- When not in use, fabric face masks should be stored in a clean, closed paper bag or other breathable container.
Fabric face masks are not considered personal protective equipment (PPE) and should not be used when entering a room or area where known or suspected COVID-19 cases are present.
Michigan Tech will supply face coverings for employees who choose not to utilize their own face coverings. Employees who have current job duties on campus who need a face covering may pick one up between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. Monday through Friday at the Transportation Services Window on the first floor of the Administration Building. Please park in Lot 11 and enter through the east doors. Walking traffic will be one way, exiting through the north doors. If you require a face covering but are unable to pick one up during these hours, please contact Brian Cadwell at email@example.com.
Please note that the current distribution of surgical face masks is only for those currently authorized to be on campus. Those who are not authorized to be on campus at this time should not come onto campus to get a face mask.