Faculty Awards Presented Wednesday
The University's most prestigious faculty awards which were announced last spring, were presented Wednesday at a ceremony in the Van Pelt and Opie Library. Making the presentations were University President Richard Koubek, Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs Jacqueline Huntoon and Vice President for Research David Reed.
The following awards were presented:
- Research Award — Zhanping You (CEE) earned the University's highest honor for research. As a transportation engineer, he has published in more than 300 peer-reviewed journals across a breadth of materials and infrastructure topics.
- Bhakta Rath Research Award —The Bhakta Rath Research Award recognizes a doctoral student and their Michigan Tech faculty advisor. Bruce Lee (Bio Med) and Ameya Narkar earned the award this year for their research on smart adhesives. The work was funded by the Office of Naval Research.
- Distinguished Teaching Award, Assistant Professor/Lecturer/Professor of Practice Category — Andrew Barnard, who is now an Associate Professor in the Mechanical Engineering-Engineering (MEEM) department and director of the Great Lakes Research Center was recognized as this year's recipient.
- Distinguished Teaching Award, Associate Professor/Professor Category — Thomas Werner, associate professor of biological sciences, is the recipient of Michigan Technological University’s 2019 Distinguished Teaching Award in the Associate Professor/Professor Category.
- Diversity Award — This year's recipient is Athletic Director Suzanne Sanregret. The Michigan Tech Diversity Award recognizes the accomplishments of a faculty and/or staff member who contributes to diversity and inclusion through exemplary leadership and actions
- Distinguished Professors — The Distinguished Professor title recognizes outstanding faculty members who have made substantial contributions to the University as well as their discipline but are not presently recognized through an endowed position or faculty fellowship. This year's recipients are Jennifer Daryl Slack (HU), John Vucetich (SFRES) and Zhanping You (CEE)
- University Professors — The University Professor title recognizes faculty members who have made outstanding scholarly contributions to the University and their discipline over a substantial period of time. This year's recipients are Kathleen Halvorsen (SS) and Timothy Schulz (ECE)
In his opening comments, President Koubek congratulated the recipients and thanked them for their dedication and service to Michigan Tech and the profession.