Title IX

Reporting Sexual Assault / Harassment

If you have not done so already, get assistance.

To officially report an incident of gender discrimination, sexual harassment, or sexual assault/violence, you may contact one of these Private Resources:

If you are not yet ready to make a private report, you could choose to seek confidential assistance.

Gender Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Assault/Violence Reporting Procedures

Protective measures for the reporting party are available whether a reporting party chooses to report to local and/or campus law enforcement, and irrespective of whether a reporting party pursues a formal complaint through the sexual and/or relationship misconduct process.

The Title IX Coordinator will offer assistance to the reporting party in the form of interim or long-term measures such as opportunities for academic accommodations; changes in housing for the reporting party or the responding student; visa and immigration assistance; changes in working situations; and other assistance as may be appropriate and available on campus or in the community (such as no contact orders, campus escorts, transportation assistance, targeted interventions, etc.).

If the reporting party so desires, that individual will be connected with a counselor on- or off-campus, as well as an on- or off-campus victim's advocate.

No reporting party is required to take advantage of these services and resources, but Michigan Tech provides them in the hopes of offering help and support without condition or qualification.

Private Reporting Resources

These resources are those from who you can expect to have complaints/incidents to be taken seriously and to have those complaints/incidents investigated and properly resolved. This means only people who need to know will be told and information will be shared only as necessary. Those needing to know may include the person(s) alleged, witnesses and investigating officials from the university or outside of the university.

A reporting party has the option to notify law enforcement directly, or to be assisted in doing so by campus authorities. If requested, campus officials can facilitate reporting to campus or local law enforcement, but may also respect a reporting party's request not to do so.

Please note that as required by law, we must notify Public Safety and Police Services when sexual violence, dating violence, domestic violence, stalking, and sexual assault occurs, without providing identifying information about the incident, unless a reporting party wishes that information to be shared, or an emergency required disclosure.

If you are not yet ready to make a private report, you could choose to seek confidential assistance.

Inquiries or complaints that involve potential violations of Title IX may also be referred to the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights at:

Candice Jackson, Acting Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights
400 Maryland Ave. SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-1100
Telephone:  1-800-421-3481
Fax:  202-453-6012; TDD:  1-800-877-8339
E-mail:  OCR@ed.gov

or the Educational Opportunities Section of the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ).


University Title IX Coordinator Responsibilities:

Monitoring and oversight of overall implementation of Title IX Compliance at the University, including coordination of training, education, communications, and administration of complaint procedures for faculty, staff, students, and other members of the University community.

A student or employee should contact the Title IX Coordinator or Deputy Title IX Coordinator(s) in order to:

  • seek information or training about rights and courses of action available to resolve reports or complaints that involve potential sex discrimination, including sexual misconduct,
  • file a complaint or make a report of sex discrimination, including sexual misconduct,
  • notify the University of an incident or policy or procedure that may raise potential Title IX concerns,
  • get information about available resources (including confidential resources) and support services relating to sex discrimination, including sexual misconduct, and
  • ask questions about the University's policies and procedures related to sex discrimination, including sexual misconduct.

For assistance, please email titleix@mtu.edu or call 906-487-3310.

For Students

For Gender Equity in Athletics and Recreation

  • If you have complaints regarding gender equity in Michigan Tech athletics and recreation, contact the Director of Athletics and Recreation/Title IX Coordinator for Gender Equity in Athletics, who oversees the coaches, staff, student-athletes, and students in this area.  Incidents that involve sexual harassment/sexual violence will be referred to the University Title IX Coordinator.

For Faculty, Staff, and Visitors

  • If you have a complaint against a Michigan Tech faculty or staff member or visitor, you should contact Institutional Equity. The Title IX Coordinator is responsible for Title IX compliance for matters involving faculty and staff, including training, education, communication, and administration of the complaint procedure for all complaints against faculty, staff, and visitors, including those complaints filed by students.