IRBNet is an online submission platform used by Research Integrity to review, make determination, communicate, and manage project documents that involve animals (IACUC), institutional biosafety (IBC), or humans (IRB) to ensure regulatory compliance. Upon completion of projects, IRBNet also serves as a document archive. Research conducted by Michigan Tech faculty, students, or staff requiring review by a regulatory committee (IACUC, IBC, or IRB) must be submitted via IRBNet.
Getting Started in IRBNet
Principal investigators needing to submit a project for committee review and any project co-investigator, collaborator, team members requiring access (read, write, or full) to a project in IRBNet must create an individual user account with username and password. The following will provide guidance for registering, accessing additional IRBNet instructions, and submission resources for each committee.
- IRBNet Registration
- You must first register and provide a valid email address before you begin using IRBNet
- After registering, you will receive an activation email from IRBNet. You must click on the link contained within the email to be able to log in to IRBNet for the first time.
- Username:You are asked to use your first initial followed by your last name as your username.
- Password: It is recommended that you change your password after initial registration and every 90 days thereafter, by simply clicking on USER PROFILE (in the top right-hand corner). Be sure to log out after every session
- Affiliation: Select Michigan Tech University as your organization when registering. You will be able to share your study information with other research team members at Michigan Tech or with collaborators at other institutions as long as they are registered users of IRBNet.
- Email address: Enter your Michigan Tech email address for registration. When you have completed your registration, you will receive a confirmation email to activate your registration.
After you have registered and clicked on the email verification link sent to you from IRBNet, you may log in to IRBNet. You can locate IRBNet user instructions within the IRBNet library by clicking the “Forms and Templates” in the left navigation of the page.
- Be sure to select the appropriate library (IACUC, IBC, IRB) from the dropdown menu for the type of project you plan to submit.
- Each committee (IACUC, IBC, IRB) library includes various documents to assist researchers
with their project submissions. The libraries will have additional IRBNet instructions,
the most up-to-date submission guidelines, instructions, checklists, and templates
related to each committee.
- Forms and templates may be downloaded, completed, and saved to your hard drive or removable storage device ready to attach when you“Create a New Project” or “Create a New Package” in IRBNet.
Many of the forms utilized by all three committees (IACUC, IBC, IRB) require Adobe Acrobat to function properly. Michigan Tech IT provides Adobe DC as part of their standard CORE software to all faculty, staff and students on University computers. If you are experiencing problems with downloading, completing, and saving fillable PDF forms, please contact the IT department to update your Adobe software to resolve the issue.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact Research Integrity at 906-487-2902 or the committee you are submitting to via the emails listed below:
- firstname.lastname@example.org for projects involving humans,
- email@example.com for animal use studies
- firstname.lastname@example.org for institutional biosafety.