The Young Women Leaders Program (YWLP) is a mentoring program that pairs Michigan Tech female undergraduates (mentor) with local middle-school girls (mentee).
The mentoring program focuses on empowering girls to:
- set goals,
- build positive self-esteem,
- learn strategies for dealing with stress, and
- develop leadership, problem solving, and communication skills.
Interested or need more information on being a YWLP Mentee?
Fill out this form.
Michigan Tech students selected for YWLP will complete mentor training during fall semester and start mentoring during the following spring semester. For more information about YWLP, check out the YWLP website!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Young Women Leaders Program (YWLP)?
Young Women Leaders Program (YWLP) is a mentoring program where Michigan Tech Undergraduate students are paired with middle school students. Mentor training takes place during the fall semester and the mentoring takes place during the spring semester.
How does a student join YWLP?
- For Mentors - Michigan Tech students interested in being mentors are required to submit an application and their resume and interview for a mentor position. All mentors are volunteers. For questions on how to apply contact the Center for Pre-College Outreach.
- For Mentees - Students interested in being a mentee should reach out to her counselor! Students are asked to sign up and will be selected based on availability of mentors. The school’s guidance counselor will send home permission forms if the student is selected for program. Contact the guidance counselor or Michigan Tech’s Center for Pre-College Outreach for more information.
What will students learn during YWLP?
Many things! During YWLP students will work on their leadership, teamwork, and communication skills as well as learn about goal-setting and perseverance, diversity and inclusion, and healthy habits! These skills are taught through developing meaningful relationships with mentors as well as hands-on activities, field trips, and guest speakers. The main goal of the program is to have each YWLP graduate walk away from the program feeling inspired and confident.
What is the time commitment for the YWLP?
- For Mentors - the time commitment is a full day or two half day trainings at the end of the fall semester. The mentoring starts in the spring and is about a 1.5-2 hour time commitment one evening per week for 9 weeks. There will also be the opportunity to go on field trips during some half days.
- For Mentees - Mentoring starts in the Spring semester and is about a 1.5-2 hour time commitment one evening per week for 9 weeks. Mentoring will start after school gets out on the day that is chosen for that semester.
Why is YWLP a program my student should get involved in?
YWLP aims to inspire middle school girls to reach their fullest potential by pairing them with positive female role models. This opportunity helps not only the middle school mentees but the mentors develop their leadership, communication, and teamwork skills.
What is the cost of YWLP?
Nothing! YWLP is a free program for students and our mentors are all volunteers!
Does my student have to attend every mentoring session?
All mentors are required to attend every mentoring session. Mentees are highly encouraged and expected to attend every session.
How can I find out more information about YWLP?
- For Mentors - During the fall there will be an info session for students interested in learning more about applying. If you are unable to make it to the info session, contact the Center for Pre-College Outreach for more information.
- For Mentees - Parents/students can contact the schools guidance counselors or Michigan Tech’s Center for Pre-College Outreach for more information.