Every effort is made to maintain high academic standards and adequate living facilities at the lowest possible cost to you, the student. Educational expenses for nine months will vary according to your personal needs, program, and degree.
2017–18 Estimated Undergraduate Expenses
|Michigan Resident||Non-Michigan Resident|
|One Semester||Academic Year
|One Semester||Academic Year
|Lab and Course Fees (estimated)||$282||$563||$282||$563|
|Room and Board3||$5,378||$10,756||$5,378||$10,756|
|Books and Supplies (estimated)||$600||$1,200||$600||$1,200|
|Personal Needs and Travel (estimated)||$870||$1,740||$870||$1,740|
|Loan Origination Fee4||$32||$64||$32||$64|
- For students taking 12-18 credits during the fall and/or spring semester. Students
taking less than 12 credits will be charged on a per credit basis (resident: $542, non-resident: $1,136). This per credit price also applies to any credit taken over 18 credits. Students
attending during summer semesters will be charged on a per credit rate.
Students who have earned 60 or more credits, including transfer credit, credit earned through early college or dual enrollment, or AP, IB, or CLEP will be charged upper-division tuition.
- Any courses taken online incur an additional fee of $38 per credit hour. Additional
required fees per semester, for on-campus students, include:
- Fall and Spring Activity Fee—$60.00 (not assessed in summer)
- Fall and Spring Experience Tech Fee—$90.00 (not assessed in summer)
- Room and Board rates vary depending on hall assignment and meal plan selection.
- The loan origination fees estimated above are only charged to those students receiving federal direct loans.
- Tuition, fees, and room and board are payable each semester.
Note: International students will be assessed a $250 per semester surcharge (excluding summer semester).
Incoming engineering and engineering management majors are required to have a laptop for in-class use. For more information, including possible financing options, visit the College of Engineering Laptop Requirement page.
2018–19 Estimated Graduate Expenses
|Lab and Course Fees (estimated)||$80||$80||$ -||$159|
|Room and Boardd||$4,652||$4,652||$4,652||$13,956|
|Books and Supplies (estimated)||$300||$300||$100||$700|
|Personal Needs and Travel (estimated, includes health insurance)||$1,706||$1,706||$1,706||$5,118|
|Loan Origination Feee||$73||$73||$73||$219|
- Tuition total ($950 per credit) is based on 9 credits per semester.
- Students in research mode are assessed tuition at $299 per credit hour for nine research credits. These students may register for courses in addition to research credits. Tuition for courses is assessed at the full, regular rate.
- Any courses taken online incur an additional fee of $38 per credit hour.
Required fees per semester, for on-campus students, include:
- Fall and Spring Activity Fee—$50.00
- Summer Activity Fee—$10.00
- Fall and Spring Experience Tech Fee—$74.00 (not assessed in Summer)
- Room and Board estimates assume students live in Michigan Tech Apartments (two-bedroom/double occupancy) using the Gold Meal Plan. Costs may vary depending on your situation.
- The loan origination fees estimated above are only charged to those students receiving federal loans.
* A student who is enrolled for one credit during the summer semester is considered full time.
Note: International students will be assessed a $250 per semester surcharge (excluding summer semester). Newly admitted international students who are enrolling at Michigan Tech for the first time will be assessed an additional, one-time, $100 international graduate student enrollment surcharge at the start of their first semester of enrollment.
You may refer to the schedule of classes for exact lab/course fees. Any course that is taken online will also incur a $38 per-credit fee.