What services does the Ombuds Office offer?
We are available to
- listen to you and discuss your concerns, issues, and questions;
- help you evaluate various options available to address your concerns;
- answer University-related questions or help you to find others who can;
- help you to understand the reasons behind University policies and procedures;
- facilitate communication between members of the Michigan Tech academic community;
- advise you about steps that you might take to resolve problems informally;
- advise you about formal and administrative options for resolving disputes;
- mediate disputes between willing members of the campus community to seek a win-win resolution of problems; and
- make appropriate referrals when informal options don't work.
When should I contact the Ombuds Office?
We encourage you to contact the Ombuds Office if
- you feel you have been treated unfairly or that an expressed concern has been ignored;
- you have a situation requiring negotiation or help in facilitating communication with another person associated with Michigan Tech;
- you are unsure which policies, procedures, or regulations apply in your situation;
- you would like to discuss a sensitive question or issue; or
- you are unsure of where to go or what options exist to solve a University-related problem you are experiencing.
How can the Ombuds Office help me?
We can assist you by
- carefully listening to you and helping you to analyze the situation and evaluate your options;
- researching and explaining relevant University policies, procedures, and problem-solving channels;
- informally mediating disputes between willing members of the Michigan Tech community;
- initiating non-adversarial, problem-solving discussions with other involved parties (only with your permission); and
- making referrals to other campus and community resources.
Can the Ombuds Office give me legal advice?
- No. The Ombuds Office will make you aware of University policies and procedures, but cannot and does not provide legal advice.
Are there disputes the Ombuds Office does not address?
- The Ombuds Office does not address disputes between members of the campus community and any private individual or individuals, companies, or organizations not affiliated with Michigan Tech. Additionally, the Ombuds Office does not handle or participate in any formal grievance procedures or legal issues of any kind.
- The Ombuds Office does not involve itself in issues specifically addressed by collective bargaining agreements for employees who are represented by labor unions.
- Additionally, the Ombuds Office does not handle or participate in any formal grievance procedures or legal issues of any kind
What other services does the Ombuds Office provide?
The Ombuds Office
- periodically suggests changes in University policies and procedures;
- conducts conflict-related workshops; and
- provides conflict-related consultation with supervisors, faculty, departments, etc.