Rush D. Robinett III
- (906) 487-1493
- R.L. Smith Bldg 903
- The Richard and Elizabeth Henes Chair Professor in Mechanical Engineering
- Director of Research
- Agile and Interconnected Microgrids Center Co-Director
- Ph.D. Texas A&M University 1987
- MS University of Texas at Austin 1984
Dr. Robinett specializes in nonlinear control and optimal system design of energy, robotics, and aerospace systems. Of particular interest in the energy arena is the distributed, decentralized nonlinear control and optimization of networked microgrids with up to 100% penetration of transient renewable energy sources (i.e., photovoltaics and wind turbines). At 100% penetration, the optimal design of energy storage systems is critical to the stability and performance of networked microgrids because all of the spinning inertia and fossil fuel of the generators have been removed from the system. In the robotics area, collective control of teams of simple, dumb robots that solve complicated problems is of continuing research interest. The application areas span the space from chemical plume tracing of buried land mines to underwater detection of targets of interest to airborne surveillance systems to spacecraft formations. In the aerospace area, system identification, trajectory optimization, guidance algorithm development, and autopilot design form the fundamentals of all of these research topics. These fundamentals are presently being applied to stall flutter suppression and meta-stable controller design research.
Areas of Expertise
- Renewable Energy Grid Integration
- Collective Systems Control
- Nonlinear Controls
- Energy storage system design for renewable energy grid integration
- High penetration renewable energy microgrids
- Collective control of networked microgrids and teams of robots
- Exergy control for buildings
- Flutter suppression for wind turbines
- Nonlinear control system design
- S. Zou, O. Abdelkhalik, R. Robinett , U. Korde, G. Bacelli, D. Wilson, and R. Coe, “Model Predictive Control of Parametric Excited Pitch-Surge Modes in Wave Energy Converters”, International Journal of Marine Energy, Vol. 19, pp. 32-46, September 2017. DOI:10.1016/j.ijome.2017.05.002 Read More
- M. Razmara, G. R. Bharati, D. Hanover, M. Shahbakhti, S. Paudyal, and R.D. Robinett III, “Building-to-Grid Predictive Power Flow Control for Demand Response and Demand Flexibility Programs ”, Journal of Applied Energy, Vol. 203, pp. 128-141, October 2017. DOI: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.06.040 Read More
- O. Abdelkhalik, S. Zou, R. Robinett III, G. Bacelli, D. Wilson. R. Coe, and U. Korde, “Multi Resonant Feedback Control of Three-Degree-of-Freedom Wave Energy Converters”, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol. PP, I 99, DOI:10.1109/TSTE.2017.2692647, April 2017. Read More
- W.W. Weaver, R.D. Robinett III, D.G. Wilson, and R.C. Matthews, “Meta-Stability of Pulse Power Loads using the Hamiltonian Surface Shaping Method”, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 32, Issue 2, pp. 820-828, DOI: 10.1109/TEC.2017.2652980, Jan 2017. Read More
- E. Trinklein, G. Parker, R. Robinett III, and W. Weaver Jr., “Toward Online Optimal Power Flow of a Networked DC Microgrid System”, IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 5, Issue 3, DOI: 10.1109/JESTPE.2017.2657459, Jan 2017. Read More
- S. Zou, O. Abdelkhalik, R. Robinett, G. Bacelli, and D. Wilson, “Optimal Control of Wave Energy Converters”, Renewable Energy, Vol. 103, pp. 217-225, April 2017. DOI: 10.1016/j.renene.2016.11.036 Read More
- M.D. Cook, G.G. Parker, R.D. Robinett, and W.W. Weaver “Decentralized Mode-Adaptive Guidance and Control for DC Microgrid”, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 32, Issue 1, pp. 62-72, DOI 10.1109/TPWRD.2016.2583384, Feb 2017. Read More
- B. Moridan, N. Mahmoudian, W. Weaver, and R. Robinett, “Post-Disaster Electric Power Recovery Using Autonomous Vehicles”, IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, Vol. 14, Issue 1, pp. 62-72, DOI: 10.1109/TASE.2016.2614927, Jan 2017. Read More
- M. Razmara, M. Bidarvatan, M. Shahbakhti, and R.D. Robinett III, “Optimal Exergy-Based Control of Internal Combustion Engines”, Journal of Applied Energy, Vol. 183, pp. 1389-1403, Dec 2016. DOI: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.09.058 Read More
- O. Abdelkhalik, S. Zou, R. Robinett, G. Bacelli, and D. Wilson, “Estimation of Excitation Forces For Wave Energy Converters Control Using Pressure Measurements”, International Journal of Control, pp. 1-13, Oct 2016. DOI: 10.1080/00207179.2016.1222555, Read More
- J. Song, O. Abdelkhalik, R. Robinett, G. Bacelli, D. Wilson, and U. Korde, “Multi Resonant Feedback Control of Heave Wave Energy Converters”, Ocean Engineering, Vol. 127, pp. 269-278, Nov 2016. DOI:10.1016/j.oceaneng.2016.09.046 Read More
- M. Razmara, G. R. Bharati, M. Shahbakhti, S. Paudyal, and R. D. Robinett III, “Bilevel Optimization Framework for Smart Building-to-Grid Systems”, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. PP, Issue 99, Apr 2016. DOI:10.1109/TSG.2016.2557334 Read More
- M. Pcolka, E. Zacekova, R. Robinett, S. Celikovsky, and M. Sebek, “Bridging the Gap Between the Linear and Nonlinear Predictive Control: Adaptations for Efficient Building Climate Control”, IFAC Journal of Control Engineering Practice, Vol. 53, pp. 124-138, Aug 2016. DOI: 10.1016/j.conengprac.2016.01.007 Read More
- U.A. Korde, R.D. Robinett III, and D.G. Wilson, “Wave-By-Wave Control in Irregular Waves for a Wave Energy Converter with Approximate Parameters”, Journal of Ocean Engineering and Marine Energy, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 501-519, Oct 2016. DOI 10.1007/s40722-016-0068-0 Read More
- M. Razmara, M. Maasoumy, M. Shahbakhti, and R.D. Robinett III, “Optimal Exergy Control of HVAC System”, Journal of Applied Energy, Vol. 156, pp. 555-565, Oct 2015. DOI: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.07.051 Read More
- O. Abdelkhalik, R. Robinett, S. Zou, G. Bacelli, R. Coe, D. Bull, D. Wilson, and U. Korde, “On The Control Design of Wave Energy Converters With Wave Prediction”, Journal of Ocean Engineering and Marine Energy, Vol. 2, Issue 4, pp. 473-483, Apr 2016. DOI: 10.1007/s40722-016-0048-4, Read More
- W. W. Weaver, R. D. Robinett III, G. G. Parker, and D. G. Wilson, “Energy Storage Requirements of DC Microgrids with High Penetration Renewables Under Droop Control”, International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 68, pp. 203-209, Jun 2015. DOI:10.1016/j.ijepes.2014.12.070 Read More
- W.W. Weaver, R.D. Robinett III, G.G. Parker, and D.G. Wilson, “Distributed Control and Energy Storage Requirements of Networked DC Microgrids”, IFAC Journal of Control Engineering Practice, Vol. 44, pp. 10-19, Nov 2015. DOI: 10.1016/j.conengprac.2015.06.008 Read More
- Robinett, R.D. III and Wilson, D.G., Nonlinear Power Flow Control: Utilizing Exergy, Entropy, Static and Dynamic Stability and Lyapunov Analysis, Springer Complexity, Understanding Complex Systems, Springer-Verlag 2011.
- Robinett III, R.D., and Wilson, D.G., 2010, “Nonlinear Slewing Spacecraft Control Based on Exergy, Power Flow, and Static and Dynamic Stability,” The Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, Vol. 57, No. 4, October-December 2010, pp. 717-741.
- Robinett III, R.D., and Wilson, D.G., 2010, “Hamiltonian Surface Shaping with Information Theory and Exergy/Entropy Control for Collective Plume Tracing,” Invited Paper to Special Issue on “Information Processing and Decision Making in Distributed Control Systems,” International Journal of Systems, Control and Communications, Vol. 2, Nos. 1/2/3, pp. 144-169.
- Robinett III, R.D., and Wilson, D.G., 2009, “Exergy and Irreversible Entropy Production Thermodynamic Concepts for Nonlinear Control Design,” International Journal of Exergy, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 357-387.