When materials are not available at or through the Van Pelt and Opie Library, and cannot be obtained through MeLCat, Michigan Tech faculty, enrolled students, staff and emeriti may request materials directly through the library’s ILLiad interlibrary loan system.
Requesting Materials Through ILLiad
- Most requests are processed when they are received. Typically, PDFs of articles and papers are delivered within 12-24 hours, and borrowed items are received within 10-14 days.
- There is no charge for ILL with two exceptions:
- Loaned items recalled by the lending library which are not returned upon request are subject to fines. See the library's Borrowing Rules and Fees chart for details.
- Occasionally, another library will charge a lending fee or charges are incurred for copyright compliance. The library will assume these costs up to $40.00/item. Borrowers will be informed when costs exceed $40.00 and may elect to be billed for the excess or cancel the request.
- Borrowed items are assigned a due date by the lending library. The due date will be on the borrowed item. Most loan periods are 3-6 weeks. Renewals may be available at the discretion of the lending library.
- Borrowed items kept beyond their due date are overdue. The library will send regular overdue notices to the borrower via email. Please see the library's Borrowing Rules and Fees chart for details.
- All copies of articles and similar publications obtained through ILL become the property of the borrower.
- Interlibrary loan cannot be used to obtain textbooks for Michigan Tech courses; few libraries lend textbooks.
- Library staff will make every effort to obtain requested items. However, we generally cannot obtain entire issues of journals, reference or no-loan materials, rare/unique items, or copies of patents and standards.
- Interlibrary loan materials may not be placed on course reserves. Do let us know when items are needed for reserves.
Interlibrary Loan Policy
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is the sharing of resources between libraries to facilitate the research and instruction of members of the Michigan Technological University community (patrons). The library provides ILL services using two systems: ILLiad and MeLCat. The following information applies to all patrons of ILL, regardless of the system they use to request interlibrary loan services.
- All patron and transaction information will be kept confidential.
- This institution reserves the right to refuse or accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve a violation of copyright.
- The Patron is responsible for:
- Providing a clear and complete citation when submitting a request.
- Being aware of and promptly responding to ILL notices sent via Michigan Tech email. Please see the library's Borrowing Rules and Fees chart for details.
- Returning all borrowed items by the due date in the same condition in which they were received.
- Returning any items recalled by the lending library within 3 days of being notified.
- Honoring the due date and any special instructions noted on the borrowed item.
- Requesting a renewal for a borrowed item before the due date.
- Returning overdue items or responding to overdue notices promptly.
- Reporting any lost or damaged ILL materials to email@example.com or (906) 487-3207.
- Paying any recall fines, repair costs or replacement fees. See the Borrowing Rules and Fees chart for more details.
- Reading and understanding the following statement regarding United States copyright law and ILL:
The copyright law of the United States, Title 17, US Code, governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research.” If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
- Patrons who fail to observe their ILL responsibilities and the ILL policies may be blocked from ILL use and incur fines and fees.