When materials are not available at or through the Van Pelt and Opie Library, and cannot be obtained through MeLCat, Michigan Tech faculty, enrolled students, staff and emeriti may request materials directly through the library’s ILLiad interlibrary loan system.
Requesting Materials Through ILLiad
- Most requests are processed when they are received. Typically, PDFs of articles and papers are delivered within 12-24 hours, and borrowed items are received within 10-14 days.
- There is no charge for ILL with two exceptions:
- Loaned items recalled by the lending library which are not returned upon request are subject to fines. See the library's Borrowing Rules and Fees chart for details.
- Occasionally, another library will charge a lending fee or charges are incurred for copyright compliance. The library will assume these costs up to $40.00/item. Borrowers will be informed when costs exceed $40.00 and may elect to be billed for the excess or cancel the request.
- Borrowed items are assigned a due date by the lending library. The due date will be on the borrowed item. Most loan periods are 3-6 weeks. Renewals may be available at the discretion of the lending library.
- Borrowed items kept beyond their due date are overdue. The library will send regular overdue notices to the borrower via email. Please see the library's Borrowing Rules and Fees chart for details.
- All copies of articles and similar publications obtained through ILL become the property of the borrower.
- Interlibrary loan cannot be used to obtain textbooks for Michigan Tech courses; few libraries lend textbooks.
- Library staff will make every effort to obtain requested items. However, we generally cannot obtain entire issues of journals, reference or no-loan materials, rare/unique items, or copies of patents and standards.
- Interlibrary loan materials may not be placed on course reserves. Do let us know when items are needed for reserves.