International Programs and Services

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the eligibility requirements?

You must:

  • Be a Michigan Tech student for two or more semesters prior to applying
  • Have a 2.75 GPA or higher
  • Receive approval from the Dean of Students

Do I have to be a Michigan Tech student to apply?

You must be a Michigan Tech student to participate in a Michigan Tech study abroad program. Students from other universities are welcome to study abroad through our study abroad program after first being admitted as Michigan Tech guest students.

What will study abroad cost?

Tuition will at be at least the same as your Michigan resident or non-Michigan resident rate. If the partner program (USAC, EPS, Semester at Sea, Kingston University, etc.) costs more than the Michigan Tech rate, students will be charged the higher rate. Tuition and the Michigan Tech application fee will be added to your Michigan Tech tuition bill. Always follow the tuition payment schedule set by Michigan Tech.

Total cost of study abroad varies, depending on:

  • Program length
  • Services provided
  • Amount of travel included
  • Cost of living in the host country

More detailed information on costs is provided when you are accepted for study abroad by Michigan Tech.

Are there scholarships?

There are many. Some go unclaimed. Visit our Financial Aid/Scholarships web page to begin your search.

How do I receive course credit?

As part of the Michigan Tech Study Abroad Application you will fill out the Course Planning Sheet. The sheet lists all courses you're taking abroad that are pre-approved by your academic advisor and the study abroad coordinator.

  • Pre-approved study abroad credit will transfer back as Michigan Tech credits. Courses may be used for major, minor, gen ed, or free electives
  • All coursework taken abroad is posted on your official Michigan Tech records/transcripts as the Michigan Tech course equivalent (for example, HU2700). Grades will be recorded as Exchange Pass (EP) or Exchange Fail (EF). The name of the host country and university is also noted on the transcript
  • If you change courses while you're abroad it is your responsibility to notify your study abroad coordinator and academic advisor, and provide the course description to determine a Michigan Tech course equivalency. Any changes in your program such as early termination, extension, or going from full to part-time status must be submitted to the study abroad coordinator in writing

Can I go if I co-op?

Yes. You have to participate during one of your school terms. Be sure that the dates of the program won’t interfere with reporting to your co-op job as scheduled. Also, if you’re not going to be taking a full-time class load while abroad, you need to discuss your plans with your co-op advisor.

Do I need to speak a foreign language?

Many study abroad courses are taught in English. It depends on the program you choose. Some require foreign language skills. Even if learning a language is not required, we encourage you to take advantage of any opportunity, academic or extracurricular, to gain this valuable skill. Becoming proficient in a foreign language helps you communicate effectively with the locals. You’ll have a better grasp of the culture and more assets to list on your resume.

How do I apply?

There are eight steps. Take them in order. Learn how to apply to a Michigan Tech Study Abroad program.

What are the deadlines?

First, you’ll need to apply to Michigan Tech for approval to study abroad. When you are approved, then you can apply to your specific study abroad program (ISA, USAC, EPS, JCMU, Semester at Sea, exchange). 

Michigan Tech study abroad application deadlines are:

  • Summer study abroad: March 1
  • Fall study abroad: April 1
  • Spring study abroad: October 15

What kinds of programs are offered?

We have a variety of programs available from full-semester to shorter summer sessions in countries around the globe.

Can I go on a program offered by another university?

Yes, if the program is pre-approved by your study abroad coordinator. Please note that your financial aid may not fully transfer to another university’s program, and it will take longer for your credits to transfer to Michigan Tech.

Can grad students study abroad?

Yes. There are several options for graduate students to consider.

Can I study abroad during my last semester at Tech?

Yes. But be aware of timing. There’s a risk that study abroad transcripts may not be forwarded to Michigan Tech in time for you to graduate that same semester. Please consider this carefully when deciding on your timeline for studying abroad.  

May I participate in more than one study abroad program during the same term?

No. You may only participate in one program at a time. But you can take Michigan Tech online courses during the same term.

What about Michigan Tech’s 36-Hour Rule?

Michigan Tech policy states, "No student may be considered a candidate for a degree unless the final 36 credit hours required for the degree are earned in residence at Michigan Tech and approved by the major school."

Credits earned on Michigan Tech programs abroad are considered Michigan Tech credit hours in residence. So you can go abroad on Michigan Tech study abroad programs while earning your final 36 credit hours.

Can I enroll late at Michigan Tech if my study abroad program end date runs into Michigan Tech’s start date?

If you plan to return to campus after the semester begins, you need to speak with your instructors to see if they’ll allow you to make up missed work. Instructors are listed on Banweb's course registration search program. If for some reason your instructor is not listed, you must speak with that department to find out who is teaching your course or contact the Registrar's Office