F-1/J-1 students are given a specific period of time to complete the academic program requirements. Please refer to the program end date that is printed on page one of the I-20 or DS-2019.
Students who are unable to meet the academic program requirements by the program end date must apply for a Program Extension before their program end date.
To qualify for a program extension, F-1/J-1 students must meet the following requirements:
1. The expiration date of the I-20/DS-2019 has not yet passed.
2. Continuously maintained the F-1/J-1 student status.
3. The delay in completion of program must be due to one of the following reasons:
- Compelling academic reason (change of major, change in research topic, unexpected research problems, etc.).
- Compelling medical reason (documentation is required from Student Health Center or U.S. licensed medical physician).
How to Request an Extension
1. Return to IPS the completed and signed Academic Advisor’s Recommendation for Extension of Program of Study.
- Students I-20/DS-2019 Extension Request: Advisor's Recommendation
- J-1 Exchange Visitor (Scholars) Request for Extension of Program Form
Affidavit of Financial Support (undergraduate students)
Certification of Finances Form (graduate students)
2. You will be contacted when your new I-20 or DS-2019 is ready.
We strongly recommend that you submit the extension request at least 1-2 months prior to the expiration of your current I-20 form.
Be sure to keep all I-20 or DS-2019 forms that you have been issued.