- Professor of Communication, Humanities
- PhD, Purdue University
Dr. Patty Sotirin's research involves critical-interpretive approaches to issues of culture, relationality, and gender. Her work draws on discursive theories of communication, critical management studies, cultural studies, feminist theories and qualitative methodologies. She has published articles in such journals as Text and Performance Quarterly, Women’s Studies in Communication, Qualitative Inquiry, Journal of Research Practice, Cultural Studies<=>Critical Methodologies, and Organization Management Journal.
Links of Interest
- Feminist theories
- Humanistic qualitative methods
- Gender and communication in the workplace
- Family communication
- Communication and civic life
- Patty Sotirin (2016). Silencers: Governmentality, gender, and the ban on gun violence research. In Catherine Squires (Ed.), Dangerous Discourses: Feminism, Guns, Violence, & Civic Life. New York, NY: Peter Lang, 2016.
- Sonia Goltz & Patty Sotirin, (2014). From academics to change agents in a gender equity initiative,” Organization Management Journal 11:3, 194-207. [Best Research Article Award of 2014 Runner Up, Organization Management Journal/Taylor & Francis Publishers]
- Patty Sotirin (2013). Theories of organizational communication. In Linda L. Putnam and Dennis K. Mumby, Eds., Sage Handbook of Organizational Communication (pp. 19-25). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Patty Sotirin (2010). Autoethnographic mother-writing: Advocating radical specificity. Journal of Research Practice, 6(1), online. [Winner of the 2012 Norman K. Denzin Qualitative Research Award. Reprinted in Autoethnography (4 volume set). Editor Pat Sikes. Volume One: What It Is and Critiques and What It Can Do. Sage Benchmarks in Social Research Methods, 2013.]
- Patricia J. Sotirin & Laura L. Ellingson (2013). Where the aunts are: Family, feminism, and kinship in popular culture. Waco TX: Baylor University Press.
- Elizabeth Flynn, Patty Sotirin, & Ann Brady, Eds. (2011). Feminist Rhetorical Resilience. Logan, UT: Utah State UP.
- Laura Ellingson & Patricia J. Sotirin (2010). Aunting: Cultural practices that sustain family and community life. Waco TX: Baylor University Press.
- Interpersonal Communication
- Organizational Communication
- Communication Theories
- Gender and Communication
- Qualitative Research Methods