For general information about Michigan Tech's response to the novel coronavirus, please visit the University's main COVID-19 response page.
For students currently studying abroad
Will I still receive the credits I was supposed to complete while studying abroad?
Yes. We are talking to your program providers about online course options. These online courses will still count towards the Michigan Tech credits that were pre-approved before you left.
Will Michigan Tech reimburse me for my housing fees where I’m currently living?
No reimbursement will be provided.
Will Michigan Tech help rebook my flights or provide support as I rebook my transportation?
We recommend you take the following steps:
- If you purchased travel insurance, contact your provider first to see if your policy includes emergency evacuation assistance and to confirm any trip interruption policies.
- Talk to your on-site program coordinator for guidance booking your new travel plans. They will be working with other students in the same situation and should have the most up-to-date information on local transportation options
- Contact the airline through which you booked your original ticket home to request a change of flight.
- If you’re experiencing problems rebooking your travel, please contact the Study Abroad office.
Michigan Tech is unable to help financially with new flight expenses.
When will study abroad programs reopen?
Study abroad programs are currently suspended through December 2020. We will reopen study abroad opportunities as soon as global, federal, state, and University authorities deem it is safe and appropriate.
- Study Abroad update for fall 2020 (sent June 22, 2020)
- Email to all 2020 summer study abroad students (sent March 5, 2020)
- Upcoming study abroad program information (sent February 26, 2020)
- Email to students: answering your questions about coronavirus as it relates to study abroad (sent February 26, 2020)
- U.S. Department of State's coronavirus page
- U.S. Department of State travel advisories