Joan Schumaker Chadde
- Director, Center for Science and Environmental Outreach
- Director, Family Engineering Program
- Staff, Civil, Environmental, and Geospatial Engineering
- Secondary Science Education, Michigan Technological University, 1998
- MS, Water Resources, University of Wyoming, 1984
- BS, Natural Resources, University of Michigan, 1977
I have been engaged in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) and environmental education for the past 27 years at the Michigan Tech Center for Science and Environmental Outreach. I am interested in developing and facilitating dynamic, engaging STEM learning opportunities for diverse audiences of both teachers and K-12 students, to spark interest, build confidence, and encourage STEM and environmental stewardship career paths.
I am a staff member in the Department of Civil, Environmental, and Geospatial Engineering as well as an allied faculty member in the Department of Cognitive and Learning Sciences.
Links of Interest
Areas of Expertise
- Great Lakes education and stewardship
- Environmental education
- K-5 engineering and STEM outreach
- K-12 science education
- K-12 teacher professional learning
Communicating Science to a lay audience
- Co-facilitator of biannual Lake Superior Youth Symposium students in grades 8-12
- Producer and disseminater of 85+ Great Lakes floor maps and Lake Superior floor maps
- Coordinator of 9 Water Festivals for Gr. 4-12 students in the western Upper Peninsula
- Coordinator of 15 Western Upper Peninsula STEM Festivals for Gr. 4-8 students (2004-2019)
- 2021 Certified Michigan Environmental Educator
- 2020 Michigan Technological University Diversity Award
- 2020 Michigan Science Teachers Association Informal Science Educator of the Year
- 2009 President, Michigan Alliance for Environmental and Outdoor Education (MAEOE)
- 2008-13 MAEOE Board Member
- 2010 MAEOE Conference Chair
- Co-founder of MAEOE Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Initiative
- Great Lakes Watershed Investigations ~ 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2012-2014
- Forest Ecology & Resources ~ 2004, 2005, 2007, 2009-2012, 2014
- Future Fuels from Forests ~ 2008-2010
- Global Change ~ 2005-2010, 2013, 2014, 2016
- Great Lakes Maritime Transportation ~ 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010-2013
- Engaging Your Students in Authentic Science Research ~ 2015, 2016
- Design A Sustainable Future ~ 2015, 2016
- Increasing Student Interest in Science & Science Careers ~ 2017-2020
- Director, 5-Day STEM Internships for Under-Served High School Students at Michigan Tech (2017-19).
- Director, 6-Day Natural Resources & Engineering Exploration for Under-Served High School Students at Michigan Tech (2015-19).
- Director, Urban Forest Stewardship Teachers Initiative in Detroit Public Schools, 2011-2014, included two 5-day Urban Forest Stewardship Teacher Institutes on Belle Isle, and presentations at the 2015 National Science Teachers Association Annual Conference (Chicago, IL) and 2014 North American Association for Environmental Education Annual Conference (Ottawa, ON).