Required Procedures for Formatting Reports
See Section 3 of the guide for formatting requirements. To assist with the requirements, the following resources are available:
- A review checklist showing the requirements in a tabular form.
- A Word document (*.doc) with templates for title and signature pages
- An Introduction to Adobe Acrobat - learn how to create and check PDF files for common formatting issues
Requirements for professionally bound reports
Students completing a Master's report (Plan B) are not required to have it professionally bound. If professional binding is desired, there are additional formatting requirements. See thereview checklist or Section 3 in the Guide for further information.
In addition to the requirements above, there are some suggested formatting guidelines and tools to help as students prepare their documents. See the links below for formatting suggestions and aids.
- EndNote—This software can help students by maintaining a database of their references and creating in-text citations and bibliographies in their documents.
- Graduate School blog—The thesis and dissertation category contains a variety of tutorial designed to answer the most common questions students have when preparing their document.
- Graduate School Communications Assistance Program (GS-CAP) – learn about resources to assist with written and oral/aural communication
- Graduate School image preflight profile—Use this preflight profile in Adobe Acrobat® to check the quality of images in a document. Right click on the link to save it to a computer, and use in Adobe Acrobat®. Instructions are available on our blog tutorial.
- Online Seminars—The Graduate School regularly presents on topics related to thesis and dissertation preparation. Online seminars, seminar notes, and useful handouts are archived online. Topics include Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat, LaTeX, Great Images, EndNote, and more!
- Turnitin.com—Students can submit documents for plagiarism review. The web site is in the Graduate School Canvas course. Only graduate students will have access to the information needed to access the site. Contact Debra Charlesworth for assistance with accessing the Canvas course or turnitin.com site.