Colleen B. Mouw
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Geological and Mining Engineering and Sciences
- PhD, Oceanography, University of Rhode Island
Dr. Mouw's research focuses on understanding physical and chemical drivers of biological variability in aquatic systems. Her laboratory characterizes optical variability of aquatic water bodies necessary for algorithm development/evaluation and refinement leading to novel satellite products and improvement of product performance in optically complex systems. She works across a spectrum of spatial scales including inland lakes, Great Lakes and oceans. Her laboratory uses a variety of aquatic satellite products and in situ observations to understand the response of aquatic systems to environmental change in oceans and lakes.
Links of Interest
- Oceanography and Limnology
- Aquatic optics and remote sensing
- Development of novel aquatic satellite products
- Aquatic biogeochemical processes
- Phytoplankton ecology
- Response of aquatic systems to environmental change
- Trochta, J.T., C.B. Mouw, and T. Moore (2015) Remote sensing of physical cycles in Lake Superior using a spatial-temporal analysis of optical water typologies. Remote Sensing of Environment, 171: 149-161, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2015.10.008. Read More
- Dutkiewicz, S., A.E. Hickman, O. Jahn, W.W. Gregg, C. B. Mouw, M. Follows (2015) Capturing optically important constituents and properties in a marine biogeochemical and ecosystem model, Biogeosciences, 12, 4447-4481, doi:10.5194/bg-12-4447-2015. Read More
- Mouw, C.B., S. Greb, D. Aurin, P. DiGiacomo, Z. Lee, M. Twardowski, C. Binding, C. Hu, R. Ma, T. Moore, W. Moses, S. Craig (2015) Aquatic color radiometry remote sensing of coastal and inland waters: challenges and recommendations for future satellite missions, Remote Sensing of Environment, 160: 15-30, 10.1016/j.rse.2015.02.001. Read More
- Bracher, A., N. Hardman-Mountford, T. Hirata, S. Bernard, R. Brewin, A. Bricaud, V. Brotas, A. Chase, A. Ciotti, J.-K. Choi, L. Clementson, E. Devred, P. DiGiacomo, C. Dupouy, W. Kim, T. Kostadinov, E. Kwiatkowska, S. Lavender, T. Moisan, C. Mouw, S. Son, H. Sosik, J. Uitz, J. Werdell, G. Zheng (2015) Phytoplankton Composition from Space: towards a validation strategy for satellite algorithms, NASA-TM-2015-217528, 40 pp. Greenbelt, MD: NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. Read More
- Clem, S., S. Legg, S. Lozier, and C.B. Mouw (2014) The impact of MPOWIR â€“ A decade of investing in mentoring women in physical oceanography. Oceanography, 27(4) supplement: 39-48. Read More
- Brewin, R., S. Sathyendranath, A. Bricaud, A. Ciotti, E. Devred, T. Hirata, T. Kostadinov, H. Loisel, C. B. Mouw, and J. Uitz. (2014). Chapter 4. Detection of phytoplankton size structure by remote sensing, In, Phytoplankton Functional Types from Space. Sathyendranath, S. (Ed.), Reports of the International Ocean Color Coordinating Group, No. 15, IOCCG, Dartmouth, Canada.
- Sathyendranath, S., H. Sosik, J. Aiken, S. Alvain, R. Barlow, L. Clementson, N. Hardman-Mountford, T. Hirata, J. Morales, A. Nair, C. B. Mouw and V. Stuart, Chapter 1. General Introduction. (2014). In, Phytoplankton Functional Types from Space. Sathyendranath, S. (Ed.), Reports of the International Ocean Color Coordinating Group, No. 15, IOCCG, Dartmouth, Canada.
- Dâ€™Sa, E., J.I. Goes, H. Gomes, C.B. Mouw (2014) Absorption and fluorescence properties of the eastern Bering Sea in the summer with special reference to the influence of a Cold Pool, Biogeosciences, 11, 3225-3244, doi:10.5194/bg-11-3225-2014. Read More
- Mouw, C.B., H. Chen, G.A. McKinley, S. Effler, D. Oâ€™Donnell, M.G. Perkins, C. Strait. Evaluation and optimization of bio-optical inversion algorithms for remote sensing of Lake Superiorâ€™s optical properties, J. Geophysical Research, 118, 1696-1714, doi: 10.1002/2011JC007690. Read More
- Naik, P., E.J. Dâ€™Sa, H. Gomes, J.I. GoÃ©s, and C.B. Mouw. Light absorption properties in southeastern Bering Sea during July 2008: analysis, parameterization and absorption budget, Remote Sensing of Environment, 134, 120-134. Read More
- Wang, J., H. Hu, J. Goes, J. Miksis-Olds, C.B. Mouw, E. Dâ€™Sa, H. Gomes, D.R. Wang, K. Mizobata, S. Saitoh, L. Luo. Modeling seasonal variations of sea ice and plankton in the Bering and Chukchi Seas during 2007-2008, J. Geophysical Research, 118, 1520-1533, doi: 10.1029/2012JC008322. Read More
- Mouw, C.B. and S. Greb (2012) Workshop for Remote Sensing of Coastal and Inland Water; Madison, Wisconsin, 20-22 June 2012, EOS, DOI: 10.1029/2012EO390006. Read More
- Mouw, C.B., J.A. Yoder, and S.C. Doney (2012) Impact of phytoplankton community size on a linked global optical and ecosystem model, J. Marine Systems, 89: 61-75, doi: 10.1016/j.jmarsys.2011.08.002. Read More
- Mouw, C.B. and J.A. Yoder (2010) Optical determination of phytoplankton size composition from global SeaWiFS imagery. J. Geophysical Research,115, C12018, doi: 10.1029/1020JC006337. Read More
- Mouw, C.B. (2009) Bio-optical and remote sensing investigation of phytoplankton community size structure. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Rhode Island (USA), 138 pp.
- Martini, K., E. Frajka-Williams, and C.B. Mouw, (2009) The Pattullo Conference: Building Community Through Mentoring. Oceanography 22(1): 180-183.
- Mouw, C.B. and J.A. Yoder (2005) Primary production calculations in the Mid-Atlantic Bight, including effects of phytoplankton community size structure. Limnology and Oceanography 50(4): 1232-1243. Read More
- Mouw, C.B. (2003) Primary production calculations in the Mid-Atlantic Bight, including effects of phytoplankton community size structure. M.S. Thesis, University of Rhode Island (USA), 112 pp.
- Fahnenstiel, G. L., C. Beckmann, S. E. Lohrenz, D. F. Millie, O. M. E. Schofield, and M. J. McCormick (2002) Standard Niskin and Van Dorn bottles inhibit phytoplankton photosynthesis in Lake Michigan. Verh. Internat. Verein. Limnol., 28(1): 376-380.