University Visa Purchasing Card
Employees who travel on University business are encouraged to charge airline tickets, car rentals, gas for rental cars, lodging, and registration fees to the University Visa purchasing card. An employee may charge University-related travel expenses to the purchasing card when making travel arrangements.
The cardholder is responsible for all charges made to the purchasing card and also for obtaining a receipt of purchases. When using the card to make travel arrangements online, you should print the summary page before submitting the order, print the confirmation email showing the itemized purchase, or contact the company to request a receipt, if necessary.
In the event that the purchasing card is not accepted or the vendor merchant codes are blocked by the University to prevent specific goods/services from being charged, contact the Purchasing Department for assistance.
All university purchasing card transactions will automatically feed into the cardholder's profile in Concur within 2-3 days after the post date. All purchasing card transactions that are not travel related shall be processed in Concur on a Purchasing Card report. Travel expenses shall be processed on a Travel &/or Business Meal Expense report. Employees processing travel expenses for another person shall use a Purchasing Card report and include the traveler's name, business purpose, date and destination of travel in the Comments section. Each expense added to the report will be allocated to the appropriate expense code. Concur Travel expense reports must contain the traveler's name, business purpose, date and destination of travel. Original receipts for all items charged to the purchasing card must be uploaded and attached to the report.
Rental-Car Collision Insurance
The University purchasing card provides collision insurance coverage on car rentals; therefore, the traveler should decline the car rental company’s Collision Damage Waiver (CDW/LDW option).
To receive a department purchasing card
- complete the Michigan Tech purchasing card application/agreement ; and
- obtain the appropriate signatures and return it to the Purchasing Department.
For detailed information on the purchasing card, refer to the procedures for using the Purchasing Card.
American Express Corporate Card
The University has an agreement with American Express Travel Related Service Company Inc. to assist employees who frequently travel on University business in obtaining an American Express Corporate Card. This card is intended primarily for University business but may also be used for personal expenditures. It is the employee's responsibility to pay the American Express bill when it is received.
All faculty and staff who travel at least once a year or host functions on behalf of the University are eligible to apply for the American Express Corporate Card. An annual fee of $35 is assessed to each cardholder. It is at the discretion of the department chair/director to reimburse employees for this fee.
American Express is solely responsible for credit approval and issuance of the card. Nonpayment of charges may result in revocation of card privileges. Once a card has been revoked for late payment/nonpayment, the employee will be unable to continue to participate in the program. Late payment fees are the responsibility of the cardholder.
Card privileges will be withdrawn upon termination of employment with the University. The employee must return the card to Financial Services and Operations before the last day of work.
- No preset spending limits
- Collision insurance on rental cars is provided (see rental car section - excludes trucks, cargo vans, and pickup trucks)
- As long as your account is in good standing, the card is available for your personal spending
If you would like to participate in the American Express Corporate Card Program, do the following:
- Request an American Express Corporate Card Application from Financial Services and Operations.
- Complete the application and return it to Financial Services and Operations with a memo signed by the department chair/director authorizing the employee to apply for the corporate card.
Financial Services and Operations personnel will forward the application to American Express for review and approval. The card should arrive from American Express in about two weeks.
The holder of an American Express Corporate Card will
- charge University-related travel expenses (meals, lodging, transportation, etc.) on the American Express Corporate Card.
- file for reimbursement of University-related travel expenses on a travel expense voucher.
- receive a monthly bill from American Express.
- promptly pay all charges directly to American Express.
Any billing discrepancies should be resolved by the cardholder.