- Adjunct Professor
- Ph.D., Forest Resources, The Pennsylvania State University
- M.Sc.(Hons), Environmental Science, University of Canterbury
- B.For.Sc.(Hons), University of Canterbury
My passion is the sustainable management of our forest resources. My work navigates
the intersection of ecology and forest management through researching and teaching
silviculture. I am interested in applying forest ecology knowledge to the management
of our forests for a wide variety of values, including (but not limited to): aesthetics,
wildlife habitat, mitigating fire hazard, conservation, and timber production.
When not working to ensure the health of our forests, I am out there enjoying them as a hiker, kayaker, and fly fisherman.
- Applied forest ecology and silviculture
- Stand- and landscape-scale forest structure
- Forest restoration
- Hupperts, S. F.*, Webster, C. R., Froese, R. E., Lilleskov, E., Marcarelli, A. and Dickinson, Y.L. (2020) Increasing ground-layer plant taxonomic diversity masks declining phylogenetic diversity along a silvicultural disturbance gradient. Canadian Journal of Forest Research.
- Hupperts, S. F.*, Webster, C. R., Froese, R. E., and Dickinson, Y.L. (2020). Seedling and sapling recruitment following novel silvicultural treatments in Great Lakes northern hardwoods. Forest Ecology and Management 462: 117983.
- Vickers, L.A., McWilliams, W.H., Knapp, B.O., D’Amato, A.W., Dey, D.C., Dickinson, Y.L., Kabrick, J.M., Kenefic, L.S., Royo, A.A., Saunders, M.R., Shifley, S.R. and Westfall, M.R., (2019) Are current seedling demographics poised to regenerate northern US forests? Journal of Forestry fvz046: 1–21
- Dickinson, Y.L., Battaglia, M.A. and Asherin, L. (2019) Evaluation of the GENGYM diameter growth model and potential modifications in structurally-complex ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa Douglas ex C. Lawson) forests. Journal of Forest Ecology 448: 1–10
- Dickinson, Y.L., Wang, X., Wiedenbeck, J. and Ross, R.J. (2019) Effects of silvicultural practices on engineering properties of northern hardwood species of the Great Lakes region — A Literature Review. General Technical Report FPL-GTR-269. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. 17p.
- Addington, R.N., Aplet, G.H., Battaglia, M.A., Briggs, J.S., Brown, P.M., Cheng, T.S., Dickinson, Y., Feinstein, J.A., Fornwalt, P.J., Gannon, B., Julian, C., Pelz, K.A., Regan, C.M., Thinnes, J., Truex, R., Underhill, J. and Wolk, B. (2018) Principles and practices for the restoration of ponderosa pine and dry mixed-conifer forests of the Colorado Front Range.Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-372. Ft Collins, CO. US Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 121p.
- Fahey, R.T., Alveshere, B., Burton, J.I., D’Amato, A., Dickinson, Y.L., Keeton, W.S., Kern, C.C., Larson, A.J., Palik, B.J., Puettmann, K.J., Saunders, M.R., Webster, C.R., Atkins, J.W., Gough. C.M., Hardiman, B.S. (2018) Shifting conceptions of complexity in forest management and silviculture. Forest Ecology and Management. 421:59–71
Novel timber production systems to protect productivity and sustainability of Northern Hardwoods in the North-Central region (US Department of Agriculture, Agriculture and Food Research Initiative Foundational Program, 2017 – 2022)
Effect of silvicultural practices on the physical and mechanical properties of Lake States Hardwoods (US Forest Service Forest Products Lab, 2017 – 2019)
Evaluation of Strip-Clearcutting on Northern Hardwoods to Regenerate Hard Maple (American Forest Management Inc., 2016-2017)
Great Lakes Northern Forest CESU: Beech Reintroduction at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore (National Park Service, 2016-2021)
Ensuring salvaged, beetle-killed trees are utilized for the highest and best use through the application of new technologies (2016 Wood Innovations Funding Opportunity, US Forest Service, 2016 – 2019)