- Adjunct Professor
- Ph.D., Forest Resources, The Pennsylvania State University
- M.Sc.(Hons), Environmental Science, University of Canterbury
- B.For.Sc.(Hons), University of Canterbury
My passion is the sustainable management of our forest resources. My work navigates
the intersection of ecology and forest management through researching and teaching
silviculture. I am interested in applying forest ecology knowledge to the management
of our forests for a wide variety of values, including (but not limited to): aesthetics,
wildlife habitat, mitigating fire hazard, conservation, and timber production.
When not working to ensure the health of our forests, I am out there enjoying them as a hiker, kayaker, and fly fisherman.
- Applied forest ecology and silviculture
- Stand- and landscape-scale forest structure
- Forest restoration
- Myers, A.L, Storer, A.J., Dickinson, Y.L., and Bal, T.L. (In review) A synthesis of Propagation and Restoration Techniques for American Beech and their Current and Future Application in Mitigation of Beech Bark Disease. Applied Vegetation Science.
- Hupperts, S. F.*, Webster, C. R., Froese, R. E., Bal, B. J. and Dickinson, Y.L. (In review) Deer exclosures are more important than harvest type when comparing initial sapling recruitment in strip clearcuts to strip selection cuts in northern hardwood forests. Forest Ecology and Management.
- Musah, M.*1, Wang, X, Dickinson, Y., Ross, R.J., Rudnicki, M., Xie, X. (2021) Durability of the adhesive bond in cross-laminated northern hardwoods and softwoods. Construction and Building Materials 307: 124267
- Vander Molen, M.S.*, Knapp, S.P., Webster, C.R., Kern, C.C., and Dickinson, Y.L. (2021) Spatial patterning of regeneration failure in experimental canopy gaps 15-24 years post-harvest. Forest Ecology and Management 499: 119577
- Ma, Y.*, Dai, Q., Wang, X, Begel, M, Dickinson, Y., Xie, X., Ross, R.J. (2021) Flexural and shear performance of CLT panels made from salvaged white spruce. Materials and Structures 302:124381
- Helman, A.*, Kelly, M.C., Rouleau, M., and Dickinson, Y.L. (2020) Preferences for Northern Hardwood Silviculture among Family Forest Owners in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. Journal of Forestry 119(2): 113-129
- Hupperts, S. F.*, Webster, C. R., Froese, R. E., Lilleskov, E., Marcarelli, A. and Dickinson, Y.L. (2020) Increasing ground-layer plant taxonomic diversity masks declining phylogenetic diversity along a silvicultural disturbance gradient. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 50(12):1259-1267.
- Hupperts, S. F.*, Webster, C. R., Froese, R. E., and Dickinson, Y.L. (2020). Seedling and sapling recruitment following novel silvicultural treatments in Great Lakes northern hardwoods. Forest Ecology and Management 462: 117983.
Novel timber production systems to protect productivity and sustainability of Northern Hardwoods in the North-Central region (US Department of Agriculture, Agriculture and Food Research Initiative Foundational Program, 2017 – 2022)
Effect of silvicultural practices on the physical and mechanical properties of Lake States Hardwoods (US Forest Service Forest Products Lab, 2017 – 2019)
Evaluation of Strip-Clearcutting on Northern Hardwoods to Regenerate Hard Maple (American Forest Management Inc., 2016-2017)
Great Lakes Northern Forest CESU: Beech Reintroduction at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore (National Park Service, 2016-2021)
Ensuring salvaged, beetle-killed trees are utilized for the highest and best use through the application of new technologies (2016 Wood Innovations Funding Opportunity, US Forest Service, 2016 – 2019)