Summer Youth Diversity Incentive Awards (SYDIA)
Criteria: awarded to Michigan and non-Michigan residents who are new incoming first year undergraduate students. Awarding for the scholarship will have both merit and need based considerations. Recipients must have participated in a Summer Youth academic program at Michigan Tech.
How to apply: Applicants must complete an essay (requirements below).
Value: variable up to $4,000 per year. In the spirit of philanthropy some or all of a scholarship may be funded by a generous donor to the university.
By participating in a Michigan Technological University Summer Youth Experience, you took the first step to securing your future. Your week on campus began your college experience and provided a diverse environment. Now is your chance to use that experience and apply for the Summer Youth Diversity Incentive Award (SYDIA).
To be considered for these scholarships, you need to complete the following steps:
- Apply to Michigan Tech free of charge using our online admissions application by January 15 of your senior year in high school.
- Complete the 2015-2016 Free Application for Federal Student Aid by February 15th.
- Apply for the scholarship by March 1, late applicants will be considered if funding permits.
Prospective students enrolling for the fall semester of 2015 who are applying for the SYDIA should select one of the following essay prompts:
- Michigan Tech students aspire to five core value statements. We inspire Community, Scholarship, Possibilities, Accountability, and Tenacity. Reflecting on your leadership activities within your community or school, please tell us which one value statement you relate to the most and why.
- Michigan Tech is a front runner in 3D printing research. One of our professors, Chelsea Schelly, recently said, “When you produce something yourself instead of purchasing it, that changes your relationship to it.” Please click here. How would you harness the power of 3D printing to make a positive impact on your community, state, or the world?
- You are required to spend the next year of your life in either the past or the future. Tell us what year would you travel to and, as a leader, how you would effect change.
The essay should be typed and not exceed one page double-spaced in length. With your essay please include the following information:
- Full Name
- Date of Birth
- Michigan Tech ID number (if known)
- Email address
Please email your essay to email@example.com, with a subject line of "SYDIA". Alternately, you may fax your response to 906-487-3042 or mail it to: Michigan Tech Financial Aid, 1400 Townsend Dr., Houghton, MI 49931.
Scholarship decisions will be made by mid-March and will be communicated to recipients as part of their financial aid award package which they will receive in the spring. All other applicants will be notified of the decision via their Michigan Tech email address.
The Summer Youth Program and the University Scholarship Committee wishes you the best of luck in your senior year and in the competition. We look forward to seeing you on our campus this fall.