The following steps will help assist you in finding the right candidate and simplify the process of promoting your position while meeting federal and state standards.
ALL external advertisements must be approved by both HR Employment Services and Institutional Equity. Please do this by sending an e-mail to Institutional Equity at email@example.com and to your HR Employment Representative.
1. Decide Where to Place Your Ad
When placing an ad for a position a good faith effort should be made to see that all advertisements reach a diverse population. The job advertisement should be tailored to the position and posted appropriately. For example: hourly positions should be advertised locally, administrative positions require a regional search, and faculty positions require a national search.
Local Places to Advertise
Local advertisements would include advertisements in the surrounding counties: Houghton/Keweenaw, Baraga, and Ontonagon.
- Michigan Works
- Daily Mining Gazette
- Tech Today
Regional Places to Advertise
Regional advertisements would include advertisements in the surrounding states: MI, WI, IL, OH, and MN. This type of advertisement could include journals, newspapers, and university placement office that offers the degree required for the position you are advertising. Some common newspaper resources are provided below.
- Marquette Mining Journal
- Detroit Free Press
- Ann Arbor - News
- Flint - Journal
- Lansing - State Journal
- Green Bay Press Gazette
- Milwaukee - Journal & Sentinel
- Minneapolis - Star & Tribune
- Chicago - Tribune
- Sault Ste. Marie - News
2. Decide the Type of Advertising and Confirm Requirements
- Classified or Word Ad - Small ad that will appear in the classified section. Charge is by word. Must include equal opportunity statement.
- Display Ad - A boxed ad set off with white space and with a border around it. Charge is by column inch. Must include equal opportunity statement and Michigan Tech Logo.
- Classified Display Ad - A display ad that will appear in the classified section. Charge is by column inch. Must include equal opportunity statement and Michigan Tech Logo.
- Online Ads- Include banner ads and type ads. Carefully review the specifications of your online ad as they vary from service to service, and site to site.
3. Write the Ad Copy
First and foremost, all advertisements whether they were paid for or free MUST be approved by Human Resources and Institutional Equity.
Staff and Faculty Advertisements need to include:
- Title of Position
- List of duties to be performed by the candidate (optional)
- Requirements for degree(s), years of experience and any other qualification requirements
- "Apply at www.jobs.mtu.edu/user/new"
- Complete job descriptions are available at www.jobs.mtu.edu/postings/search
- Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (EEO) - Michigan Tech University is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. As such the University is required by federal and state laws to announce equal opportunity policies on all publications and notices.
- The traditional statement found in position announcements -- "Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer, that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities." -- is required by federal regulation and must appear in all advertisements.
- The short version -- "Michigan Tech is an EOE that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities." -- This short version should only be used when word count is under consideration for pricing of ads.
The following language is also required in all faculty advertisements:
“Michigan Tech is an ADVANCE Institution, and has twice received National Science Foundation funds in support of efforts to increase diversity, inclusion, and the participation and advancement of women and underrepresented individuals in STEM.”
“Michigan Tech acknowledges the importance of supporting dual-career partners to retain a quality workforce. Candidates are invited to bring a guest to an on-campus interview; career exploration, advice, and assistance are available for positions at the University and in the local community. Additional details on dual-career exploration with our Partner Engagement Program can be found at https://www.mtu.edu/provost/programs/partner-engagement/.”
A shorter version may be used only when word count is under consideration for pricing of ads:
“Michigan Tech actively supports dual-career partners to retain a quality workforce. Candidates are invited to bring a guest to an on-campus interview; additional details on dual-career exploration in our Partner Engagement Program can be found at https://www.mtu.edu/provost/programs/partner-engagement/.”
You must include the geographic location of the university in your advertising (Houghton, MI).
Consider using proactive language. Proactive language can be included as a specific job qualification or as a summary statement at the end of job announcements. Examples of specific job qualifications and summary statements include the following:
- Candidates should describe how multicultural issues have been or will be brought into courses.
- Candidates should describe previous activities mentoring minorities, women, or members of other underrepresented groups.
- Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
- Successful candidates must be committed to working with diverse student and community populations.
- The University is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
- The University is committed to building a culturally diverse educational environment. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will further this goal.
- The campus is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through their research, teaching and/or service.
- Our goal is to attract world-class faculty to enrich the educational experience of our bright, motivated, and adventurous students. MTU is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities.
- For Faculty positions only:
Michigan Tech is building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment where differences are valued and respected. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and intersectional individuals are encouraged to apply.
4. Payment for Advertisement
A University issued credit card can be used for lower cost advertisements or Download a Purchase Requisition form.