It is the policy of Michigan Technological University not to discriminate on the basis of disability. Michigan Technological University has adopted an internal grievance procedure providing for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action prohibited by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA). Section 504 and the ADA prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability in any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.
- Grievances must be submitted to the ADA/504 Coordinator within 60 days of the date the person filing the grievance becomes aware of the alleged discriminatory action.
- A complaint must be submitted in writing, by completing the ADA/Section 504 Grievance Form, containing the name and address of the person filing it. The complaint must state the problem or action alleged to be discriminatory and the remedy or relief sought. If desired, a hard copy of the grievance form is available from Institutional Equity. The Discrimination and Harassment Reporting form on the Report A Concern webpage may also be used to submit a grievance concerning disability.
- The ADA/504 Coordinator (or designee) shall conduct an investigation of the complaint. This investigation may be informal, but it must be thorough, affording all interested persons an opportunity to submit evidence relevant to the complaint.
- The ADA/504 Coordinator will maintain the files and records relating to the complaints filed.
- The ADA/504 Coordinator (or designee) will issue a written decision on the grievance no later than 30 days after its filing.
- The person filing the grievance may appeal the decision of the ADA/504 Coordinator by writing to the Executive Director of Institutional Equity (Room 308, Administration Building) within 15 days of receiving the ADA/504 Coordinators decision. The Executive Director shall issue a written decision in response to the appeal no later than 30 days after its filing.
- The availability and use of this grievance procedure does not prevent a person from filing a complaint of discrimination on the basis of disability with the US Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights.
- To the extent possible, confidentiality will be maintained throughout the investigation of a complaint of unlawful discrimination or harassment.