The following steps will help assist you in finding the right candidate and simplify the process of promoting your position while meeting federal and state standards.
As a federal contractor, Michigan Tech must comply with Executive Order 11246, VEVRAA and 503 regulations. These regulations prohibit discrimination in employment decisions on the basis of protected class status and requires affirmative action to recruit and advance protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and minority applicants.
ALL external advertisements, including information that will be posted online or via social media websites, must be approved by both HR Employment Services and Equal Opportunity Compliance and Title IX. Please do this by sending an email to Equal Opportunity Compliance and Title IX at firstname.lastname@example.org and to your HR Employment Representative.
1. Decide Where to Place Your Ad
When placing an ad for a position a good faith effort should be made to see that all advertisements reach a diverse population. The job advertisement should be tailored to the position and posted appropriately. For example:
- hourly positions should be advertised locally,
- mid-level administrative/managerial/coordinator positions require a regional search, and
- upper-level administrative positions and faculty positions require a national search.
All positions are automatically posted to the following:
- MTU Employment website and Tech Today
- Michigan Works/Pure Michigan Talent Bank
- The National Labor Exchange
2. Decide the Type of Advertising and Confirm Requirements
Advertisements could be placed online, and could also be in print. Such resources could include printed journals, local or regional newspapers, professional organization websites, and university placement offices that offer the degree required for the position you are advertising. Be sure to carefully review the specifications of your advertisements as they vary from service to service, and site to site. For a list of helpful resources in which to place your advertising, visit the National and Online Advertising and Recruiting webpage.
3. Write the Ad Copy
First and foremost, all advertisements whether they were paid for or free MUST be approved by Human Resources and Equal Opportunity Compliance and Title IX.
Staff and Faculty Advertisements need to include:
- The EEO tagline is required in ALL advertisements: "Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational
Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including
protected veterans and individuals with disabilities."
- The short version should only be used when word count is under consideration for pricing of ads: "Michigan Tech is an EOE that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities."
- Title of Position
- List of duties to be performed by the candidate (optional)
- Requirements for degree(s), years of experience and any other qualification requirements
- "Apply at <INSERT UNIQUE ADDRESS directly to your department's position>
The following is also required in all faculty advertisements:
- “Michigan Tech is proud to be an ADVANCE Institution, and has thrice received National Science Foundation support to increase diversity, inclusion, and the participation and advancement of women and underrepresented individuals in STEM.”
- "Michigan Tech recognizes the importance of supporting faculty members’ partners; candidates selected for on-campus interviews will be invited to bring a guest. Additional details on our Partner Engagement Program can be found at https://www.mtu.edu/provost/programs/partner-engagement/"
- You must include the geographic location of the university in your advertising (Houghton, MI).
Here is an example of the standard advertising language:
Michigan Technological University, Department of <INSERT DEPARTMENT NAME> invites applications for the position of <INSERT POSITION TITLE>. Applicants for the position are required to have <INSERT BRIEF INFO HERE such as degree, experience, disciplinary focus>.
Michigan Tech attracts world-class faculty who enrich the educational experience of smart, motivated, and adventurous students. Applicants who are committed to promoting a sense of belonging and contributing to an equitable and inclusive learning environment for all are strongly encouraged to apply (https://www.mtu.edu/diversity-inclusion/). <INSERT BRIEF INFO HERE such as points of pride such as rankings, current initiatives, notable achievements, etc.>.
Successful candidates will be expected to <INSERT BRIEF INFO HERE such as expectations for research/scholarship (including external funding, graduate advising, and publishing as appropriate), teaching (undergraduate and/or graduate as appropriate), and service (within the University and/or to the scholarly community as appropriate)>.
For full consideration, complete application packages should be received by <INSERT DATE>.
<INSERT Specific detailed job info here.>
End the advertisement with this:
Located in Houghton, in the heart of Upper Michigan’s scenic Keweenaw Peninsula, the university is just a few miles from Lake Superior. The surrounding area is perfect for enjoying outdoor activities throughout the year.
FOR FACULTY ONLY: Michigan Tech recognizes the importance of supporting faculty members’ partners; candidates selected for on-campus interviews will be invited to bring a guest. Additional details on our Partner Engagement Program can be found at https://www.mtu.edu/provost/programs/partner-engagement/.
FOR FACULTY ONLY: Michigan Tech is proud to be an ADVANCE Institution that has thrice received National Science Foundation support to increase diversity, inclusion, and the participation and advancement of women and underrepresented individuals in STEM.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
For more information <INSERT INFO HERE – E.g., contact information for search committee chair>. To apply: See <INSERT UNIQUE ADDRESS directly to your department's position>.
4. Payment for Advertisement
A University issued credit card can be used for lower cost advertisements or Download a Purchase Requisition form.