- Director, Student Financial Services Center
- EdD, Higher Education Leadership, Edgewood College
- MEd, Student Affairs Administration, South Dakota State University
- BS, Elementary Education, Northern Michigan University
While obtaining his bachelor's degree in elementary education, Joe discovered he also had a strong passion for working in student affairs in the higher education setting. After working full-time in South Dakota and earning his master's in student affairs administration, Joe made the move to Michigan Tech in 2009 to join the Housing and Residential Life department. After being named Director of Student Leadership and Involvement in 2012, he gained even more valuable experience collaborating with departments across campus in order to promote student success both inside and outside the classroom. Now, as Director of the Student Financial Services Center, Joe works with a thriving team of 14 staff members who are committed to creating possibilities, inspiring learning, and exceeding expectations.
Joe and the team in Student Financial Services manage student billing, cashiering services, and all aspects of financial aid counseling, disbursement, and compliance. Approximately $89 million dollars of financial aid is administered through the office, and $32 million dollars of that is aid from Michigan Tech's general fund. Joe also oversees the awarding of $3 million dollars in sponsored scholarships through an imaginative and strategic process that best serves our students.
Links of Interest
- Before his work in Student Financial Services, Joe gained valuable experience in the areas Housing and Student Leadership and Involvement. Concurrently serving as a Michigan Tech Title IX Deputy Coordinator, he is a strong advocate for sexual violence prevention and campus safety. When Joe isn't busy with work or his doctoral program, he enjoys traveling, watching movies, discovering exciting places in the Upper Peninsula, and spending time with his beagle, Kirby.