Graduate Orientation and Applied Language (GOAL) Program
This rigorous language program is designed to assist international graduate students to succeed in their academic programs by providing intensive English language instruction and cultural immersion opportunities. In addition to these opportunities, the program provides an extended orientation to U.S. university life. All new international graduate students who want to improve their academic English are strongly encouraged to participate in the GOAL program, which is offered prior to Fall classes.
Apply Early—Enrollment is Limited!
Applied Language - Intensive English Language Instruction
- Lecture Comprehension & Notetaking
- Writing Lab Reports, Grant Proposals, and Literature Reviews
- Professional Presentations
- Leading Discussions
- Academic Reading Strategies
- Academic Vocabulary
- Peer Collaboration & Classroom Interactions
- Campus tour & student ID
- Introduction to department and peers
- Library resources orientation
- Meeting with academic advisors
- Assistance with campus housing
- Banking information
- Tour of health and recreation facilities
- Meeting with Public Safety officers
Only students who are applying for a graduate program or have already been accepted to a graduate program for the Fall semester are eligible to apply to GOAL.
Priority Application Deadline: April 1st
Application Deadline: May 1st
Arrival Pick-ups: Transportation will be provided from Houghton County Memorial Airport (CMX) to campus housing
Program Start Date and Placement Test: Monday, June 18, 2018
Program Completion: Friday, July 27, 2018
Graduate Orientation with Applied Language (GOAL)
Six-week Summer Session
|Room and Board||$1,762|
Estimated Books and Supplies
*Students are required to have their own health insurance or purchase Student Insurance ($308) through Michigan Tech.
Apply to the GOAL Program
If you are interested in applying for the GOAL program, please contact the director (Heather Deering) for application information: