The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and Sense of Belonging (DEIS) Alumni Advisory Board is comprised of members with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences to help Michigan Tech create lasting improvements in the areas of diversity, equity, and inclusion and a sense of belonging. Members serve as advisors to groups throughout the University to help drive strategies and policies that will positively impact the Michigan Tech community.
To engage diverse volunteers, provide expert advice to Michigan Tech University leaders, and utilize its collective talent, energy, and resources to assist the University in developing and implementing strategies to create, maintain, and promote a truly inclusive campus environment
To facilitate a diverse, equitable and inclusive educational environment where students, faculty, staff and alumni have a sense of belonging regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, ability, religion, and creed.
The purposes of the Board include:
- Offering guidance and feedback to the MTU President and University leadership regarding diversity, equity, inclusion and sense of belonging efforts
- Utilizing networks to cultivate and support diversity initiatives aimed at student body, faculty, and staff
- Creating thoughtful programs, services, and communications that will ensure that every Michigan Tech graduate (current and future) feels a genuine sense of belonging to a campus that exists for people just like them.
- Assisting in identifying resources (programs, in-kind services and philanthropic) for University DEIS efforts
- Serving as mentors/contacts for incoming, current students and recent graduates
- Serving as MTU ambassadors and assisting with University branding that promotes DEIS in identified communities and networks
- Supporting an inclusive environment in all things Michigan Tech
- Establishing, monitoring, tracking and evaluating benchmarks by which to define success