The Michigan Technological University Diversity Award recognizes the accomplishments of a faculty and/or staff member of the University who contributes to diversity and inclusion through exemplary leadership and actions. Recipients will demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion through recruitment and retention efforts, teaching, research, multi-cultural programming, cultural competency, community outreach activities, or other initiatives.
Criteria for Nominations
Nominees must be current faculty or staff of the University. Nominations can be submitted by individual employees (including supervisors, direct reports and peers of the nominees), students, alumni, University groups, employee networks and community organizations, or other University partners. The award is intended to honor those who have gone above and beyond to further/foster diversity and inclusion at the University. Previously, there was a restriction that the award was not intended to honor those whose primary job at Michigan Tech was already within the framework of furthering/fostering diversity and inclusion. This restriction has been removed.
Applications will be judged on the following criteria:
- Demonstrates activities to recruit, retain, and professionally develop individuals who increase the diversity of our faculty and staff
- Demonstrates activities to attract, recruit, and ensure the success of a diverse student body
- Creates activities, sponsors, and/or actively promotes programs, initiatives, and/or projects that promote a diverse and inclusive campus culture
- Collaborates with external departments/organizations to ensure a diverse and inclusive campus community
- Demonstrates efforts that exhibit a commitment to diversity in teaching, research, and service
The Michigan Technological University Diversity Award selection committee will be comprised of a subset of the University’s Diversity Council.
Award and Celebration
The award recipient will receive a $2,500 award and will be honored during the Faculty Awards Dinner held in September. The award recipient will be highlighted on the Diversity Council webpage and recognized in University publications. They will also receive an award certificate.
April 19, 2019 - Nominations due to the chair of the University Diversity Council
May 6, 2019 - Notification to winner
Fall 2019 - Formal recognition (at Faculty Awards Dinner, held in September)
Instructions for Submitting Nominations
- Self nominations are permitted.
- Use a separate Form for each nominee. Make sure the contact information is accurate and complete.
- Nomination form
- A nomination statement should be attached to this form and should not exceed two pages. The nomination statement should specifically identify the individuals exceptional contributions and accomplishments.
- Submit two additional letters of support for the nomination. Ideally, one of the letters of support should be from the individuals supervisor, department chair, director, or dean.
- Nominees will submit a brief personal statement with an emphasis on Diversity work. The award committee will contact the nominee for this information.
Completed nomination packets should be submitted to:
Diversity Council Chair
2014 University Diversity Award Recipient - Linda Ott
2015 University Diversity Award Recipient - Bill Predebon
2017 University Diversity Award Recipient - Susan Liebau