Computer Science

24/7 Advising Help

Changing majors and adding or dropping an additional major or minor

  • Current Michigan Tech students can add majors and minors with the department advisor that they wish to add the major or minor with. The student needs to be in Good Standing, GPA above 2.0.
    • Students are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor to see how the additional major or minor work into their degree completion plan.
    • Additional information is available on the Registrar’s Website
  • Students do not need to meet with an advisor to drop second degree or minor, just use MyMichiganTech to drop major or minor.
  • Request major change, dual major or minor in MyMichiganTech.
  • New incoming first year students who wish to change their major before arriving on campus can email admissions, They will adjust your major for you.

Co-ops, Internships, and Career Help

  • Co-ops means Cooperative Education. Students are registered for Michigan Tech credit while working with a company; this typically is over a fall or spring semester during junior or senior year.
    • Additional information available on the Career Services website, including requirements, needed forms and FAQ.
  • Students typically work internships over the summer. This job is arranged by you and the company and there is no Michigan Tech academic credit.
  • You can schedule an appointment with the CS Advisor to discuss your plans for co-ops or internships and how it will work into your degree completion plan.
  • Preparing for Career Fair, help with resumes and interview resources.
  • If you would like to discuss possible career paths in CS or SSEN, Dr. Linda Ott of the CS department is a fantastic resource. Email,
  • Career Services


  • Steps to ensure you graduate on time!
    • Meet with your advisor(s) 3 semesters before you plan to graduate to ensure you are on track.
    • Run your audit in DARS, if something does not look right, contact your advisor.
    • A final degree audit needs to be run by your advisor and checked off after you are done registering for your last semester of courses. Contact your advisor/s and schedule an appointment or send an email with your M number and ask if they can run your final audit.
    • Read your emails from Degree Services regarding graduation and applying to graduate.
    • Graduation Checklist

Registration planning and help

  • Plan for registration
  • Prepare for registration well before your registration time, plan your courses and meet with your advisor yearly to ensure you are on track for graduation.
  • If you are registering and getting an error, this link will help you understand what the error means and if there is a form or waiver needed to add the course.
  • Forms and waivers are located outside the CS Advising office inside Rekhi 221
  • Registration information and forms

Resources and links for help on campus, repeating courses, academic probation, suspension, and appeals

Make sure you are in contact with your advisor if you are struggling. Your advisor can help ensure you get connected to the resources most appropriate for your situation, can help you adjust your degree plan to best fit your needs and help you look over all the options available to make a good plan to move forward.

Transfer Help

I am planning on applying to begin the accelerated master's program next fall. What should I consider when choosing classes? 

Here are the factors you should consider in selecting your courses (either senior rule or double count).

  1. The courses must count toward the MS in CS.  This includes any 4000 or 5000-level course except CS 4791 and CS 4792.
  2. Only 12 hours total of 4000-level courses can count toward the degree.
  3. If you plan to complete your studies in two semesters, you should ensure that you get the prerequisites in time to take any 5000-level course you plan to take.  Most 5000-level courses are only offered once per year. So, for example, if you want to take CS 5xxx in your first semester of MS study and CS 4xxx is the prerequisite, you should try to get CS 4xxx as an undergraduate.  The course offerings typically are the same from year to year (though they can change due to unpredictable circumstances like changes in faculty membership) so you can look at the current schedule to identify when the courses you might want to take are offered.
  4. There is paperwork to complete for the senior rule. There is no paperwork for double-count courses. The senior-rule paperwork must be completed before you take the classes you will senior rule.
  5. There are other requirements for the MS. Please refer to the graduate student handbook here: >

How can I prepare for an accelerated master’s with the project option?

  • Consider talking with faculty in your area(s) of interest during your last semester of undergraduate classes. Projects are more open-ended than traditional courses, and talking with faculty can give you a head start and help you to firm up a timeline for completion of the project, which is especially important if you have a firm graduation date in mind.