We understand that there can be a level of discomfort in seeking counseling, so we want to put your mind at ease on the process of coming to Counseling Services for the first time. Below is a walk through of what it looks to establish services with a counselor. If you have any additional questions feel free to contact us prior to coming in.
You realize that you may benefit from speaking with a counselor
You attend a walk-in appointment by coming to our office located on the 3rd Floor of Administration Building during walk-in hours, which are posted at the beginning of each semester.
- Our front desk is located on the left when you come off of the elevators. Let the person at the front desk know that you are interested in establishing services with a counselor.
- You will be asked to fill out our initial paperwork and complete a questionnaire to
help the counselor better understand the concerns that are bringing you in.
- This traditionally takes 10-15 minutes to complete
- Walk-in hours are on a first-come-first-serve basis, so you may have to wait or return
at a later point to be seen.
- If you are experiencing an emergency please let the front desk person know to ensure that you are seen.
While you are waiting to be seen, please help yourself to coffee, tea, hot chocolate or water while you wait.
Your counselor will come out to the waiting room to get you and bring you back to their office.
- The counselor that you meet with during this initial appointment will be your counselor, unless their are special circumstances that would warrant you changing to a different counselor.
Prior to asking any questions, the counselor will review the confidentiality policy with you and check to see if you have any questions about the policy before moving forward with the assessment.
- The counselor will ask you questions regarding what is bringing you into counseling
and what your needs for counseling may be
- This appointment is intended to be a brief assessment to understand the concerns and needs of each student coming in. Expect to meet with the counselor for about 30 minutes during this initial appointment.
- If at any point during the assessment you are unsure of the question, ask for clarification.
- If you begin to experience a crisis while being asked these questions, let your counselor know. We want to make sure you are in a safe place before you leave our office.
Once the counselor has asked all the questions, you will have a chance to ask any questions or address any concerns you have.
- Once all the questions are asked, you and your counselor will discuss the resources and options available to meet your needs. Additionally, you will make a preliminary treatment plan to establish the goals you have for counseling.
Next steps for treatment and rescheduling are determined during the initial appointment with your counselor.
- You begin working toward your goal(s) established in your treatment plan and utilizing the appropriate options that were discussed.