Counseling Services
Also in this section

Student Frequently Asked Questions

What is Michigan Tech Counseling Services?
Michigan Tech Counseling Services is a department within the Division of Student Affairs that provides a wide range of mental health services to Michigan Tech students.

Who is eligible for Counseling Services?
All currently enrolled Michigan Tech students are eligible for free services at Counseling Services.

What type of services are provided?
We provide individual, group, and couples counseling. Additional services include workshops and presentations on mental health topics for student organizations, residence halls, and the university community.

Who are your counselors?
Counseling Services has a diverse staff of mental health professionals, including social workers, a limited licensed psychologist, and graduate practicum students. All full time clinicians of Counseling Services are licensed within their profession – all non-licensed personnel (graduate practicum students) are under direct supervision by licensed clinical staff members.

What kind of issues do students come to Counseling Services to get help with?
Students come to Counseling Services for a wide variety of reasons. Many of our students have a specific concern they are seeking services for such as depression, anxiety, and eating concerns to name a few. Students additionally seek services to address academic difficulties such as time management concerns, test anxiety or difficulty with concentration. Some students experience difficulty adjusting to college life or encounter conflicts with roommates or their parents. 

Where are you located?
We are located on the 3rd Floor of the Administration Building.

What hours is Counseling Services open?
We are open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. during the academic year and Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. during the summer. Academic and summer schedules are based on the University’s outlined calendar year.

How do I establish services with Counseling Services?
During the academic year we offer walk-in hours, which are posted at the beginning of the academic year. Walk-in hours are used for the purpose of primarily completing an initial evaluation with a counselor. During the summer semester we do not offer walk-in hours, so students can contact the office to schedule an appointment. 

How long does it take to get an appointment?
Walk-in hours are offered daily on a first-come-first-serve basis, but traditionally students are able to meet with a counselor that same day. 
*If you are experiencing a crisis, please let the administrative staff know to ensure that you are able to meet with a counselor.

What can I expect when I come to Counseling Services for the first time?
When you arrive during walk-in hours and you will be asked to complete paperwork which typically takes 10 minutes. After completing your paperwork, you will have a face-to-face appointment with a counselor to discuss the concerns that bring you to counseling, options for meeting your needs, an explanation of services available based on your concerns and establish a treatment plan.

Are counseling services confidential?
Counseling Service records are not included in any of your other university records. All information about you, even acknowledgments of your visits, is confidential and cannot be released without your written permission except under specific circumstances outlined in our confidentiality policy.

If I come in to see a clinician, I don’t want my parents to know. Will you have to tell them?
No. Your clinician will not speak to your parents, professors, friends, or anyone else about your confidential concerns without your permission. There are rare exceptions, which are outlined in our confidentiality policy.

What should I do in an emergency?
In any emergency involving physical harm or a threat to life, call Public Safety at 906-487-2216 or dial 911(if you are out of the area dial 866-411-0018 to reach Negaunee Central Dispatch). If you are in a residence building on campus, you can contact your RA or RLC. In cases of psychological emergencies, contact Counseling Services during our business hours or Public Safety. During non-business hours contact Public Safety directly to request assistance from the on-call counselor.

How do I help someone get an appointment?
To help a student get connected with services, you can provide them with information of our available services and our walk-in hours. Follow-up appointments for established students can only be done by the student receiving services. If the student is unwilling to contact our office and you are concerned about their safety, please use the Report a Concern tool to report your concern.

Does Counseling Services prescribe medication?
Counseling Services provides limited access to a nurse practitioner on staff who has the ability to prescribe medication as well as manage currently prescribed medications. However, access to these services are only available to students who are receiving counseling through Counseling Services and have been referred by their primary counselor. Many medications work best in conjunction with psychotherapy. Counseling Services’ clinicians work together with the nurse practitioner on staff to monitor progress and concerns of each student.
*Prescriptions for ADD/ADHD medications are not prescribed or managed through our office. Please contact a local medical provider's office for management of these medications.