Counseling Services
Also in this section

Faculty/Staff Frequently Asked Questions

As a faculty/staff member, can I use Counseling Services?
No. Services provided through Counseling Services are only available to currently enrolled Michigan Tech students. If you are seeking personal counseling contact the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) at 906-225-3145 for information.

How can I help students get connected to services through Counseling Services?
Faculty and staff can provide information on services available to students and walk-in hour times. Additionally, faculty and staff have the ability to walk a student over to our office located on the 3rd Floor of the Administration Building for the student to utilize walk-in hours. 

What kind of issues do students come to Counseling Services to get help with?
Students come to Counseling Services for a wide variety of reasons. Many of our students have a specific concern they are seeking services for such as depression, anxiety, and eating concerns to name a few. Students additionally seek services to address academic difficulties such as time management concerns, test anxiety or difficulty with concentration. Some students experience difficulty adjusting to college life or encounter conflicts with roommates or their parents. 

What should I say to a student I think needs your services?
Talking to students about Counseling Services can be difficult and uncomfortable conversation for both parties, but it is an important one to have. It is up to the student to decide whether they would like to seek services, but expressing your concern may give them the opportunity to reach out for help.

What if I have a concern about a student?
If you have concerns about a student you can use the Report a Concern tool to report your concerns.

If it is an emergency involving physical harm or a threat to life, call Public Safety at 906-487-2216 or dial 911 (if you are out of the area dial 866-411-0018 to reach Negaunee Central Dispatch).

In cases of psychological emergencies during business hours, call either Counseling Services or Public Safety. During non-business hours contact Public Safety directly.