- 906-487-3386 (Office); 906-487-1723 (Lab)
- EERC 223
- Professor, College of Computing
- Affiliated Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Affiliated Professor, Computational Science & Engineering, and Data Science
Dr. Jinshan Tang is currently a professor in the computer network and system administration program in the College of Computing at Michigan Technological University. He received his PhD degree from Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications and also received postdoctoral training at Harvard Medical School and the National Institute of Health.
From 1998 to 2000, he worked as an invited researcher at ATR Media Integration and Communication Research Laboratories, Kyoto, Japan. In 2000, he joined Schepens Eye Research Institute, Harvard Medical School, as a postdoctoral research associate. From 2001 to 2004, he was with the University of Virginia, Charlottesville. From 2004 to 2005, he was with the National Cancer Institute, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD. From 2005 to 2006, he was a senior engineer at Intel, Hudson, MA. From 2006 to 2011, he was an assistant professor at Alcorn State University, Alcorn State, MS.
Dr. Tang’s research covers wide areas related to image processing and imaging technologies. His specific research interests include biomedical image analysis and biomedical imaging, biometrics, computer vision and image understanding. He has obtained more than one million dollars in grants as a PI or Co-PI. He has published more than 80 refereed journal and conference papers. He has also served as a committee member at various international conferences. He is a senior member of IEEE and a member of the Technical Committee on Information Assurance and Intelligent Multimedia-Mobile Communications, IEEE SMC society.
- Image processing and pattern recognition
- Biomedical imaging and medical image analysis
- Medical informatics and intelligent medical diagnosis system
- Computer networking
- Advanced programming
- Medical information system
- Medical image analysis
Selected Publications (from 85 publications)
- Zhou, Huiyu, Huosheng Hu, Honghai Liu, Jinshan Tang. In press. Classification of Upper Limb Motion Trajectories Using Shape Features, IEEE Transaction on System, Man, and Cybernetics, Part C (In Press).
- Tang, Jinshan, Xiaoming Liu, Huaining Cheng, and K. M. Robinette. 2011. Gender Recognition Using 3-D Human Body Shapes, IEEE Transaction on System, Man, and Cybertics, Part C, Vol. 41, No. 6, pp. 898-908.
- Tang, Jinshan, Raj Rangayyan,Yongyi Yang, I. El Naqa, Jun Xu. 2009. Computer Aided Breast Cancer Detection and Diagnosis Using Mammography: Recent Advance, IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 236-251.
- Tang, Jinshan, Xiaoming Liu, Qingling Sun. 2009. An Direct Image Contrast Enhancement Algorithm Based on Wavelet Transform for Screening Mammograms, IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Signal Processing,Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 74-80.
- Tang, Jinshan. 2009. A Multi-direction GVF Snake for the Segmentation of Skin Cancer Images, Pattern Recognition, Vol. 42, No. 6, pp. 1172-1179.
- Xu, Jun, Yong-Yan Cao, Youxian Sun and Jinshan Tang. 2008. Absolute Exponential Stability of Recurrent Neural Networks with Generalized Activation Function, IEEE Transaction on Neural Network, Vol. 19, No. 6, pp. 1075-1089.
- Tang, Jinshan, Garry Choy, Peter Choyke. 2006. Dynamic Contrast Enhanced MRI Predicts Early Response to Tumor Necrosis Factor in a Colon Carcinoma Model, Investigative Radiology, Vol. 41, No. 9.
- Tang, Jinshan, Steven Millington, Scott Acton, Jeff Crandall and Shepard Hurwitz. 2006. Surface Extraction and Thickness Measurement of the Articular Cartilage from MR Images Using Directional Gradient Vector Flow Snake, IEEE Tr. on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 52, No. 5.
- Goobic, Adam P., Jinshan Tang, and Scott T. Acton. 2005. Image Stabilization and Registration for Tracking Cells in the Microvasculature, IEEE Tr. on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 52, No. 2.
- Tang, Jinshan, and Scott T. Acton. 2004. Vessel Boundary Tracking for Intravital Microscopy Via Multi-scale Gradient Vector Flow Snakes, IEEE Tr. on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 51, No. 2.
- Tang, Jinshan, J. Kim and Eli Peli. 2004. Image Enhancement in the JPEG Domain for People With Vision Impairment, IEEE Tr. on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 51, No.11, pp. 2013-2023.
- Sun, Qingling, John A. Hossack, Jinshan Tang, Scott Acton. 2004. Speckel Reducing Anisotropic Diffusion for 3D Ultrasound Images, Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, Elsevier Science, Vol. 28, pp. 461-470, Dec. 2004.
- Tang, Jinshan, Eli Peli, Scott Acton. 2003. Image Enhancement Using a Contrast Measure in the Compressed Domain, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 10, No. 10.
- PI, Health Informatics Research, supported by Michigan Technological University
- PI, Investigation of Advanced Image Processing Technologies for Crack Detection in Pavement Management System, subaward from JSU, supported by US Department of Transportation
- PI, Collection of Bio-feature Data and Establishment of a Database for the Prediction of Human Behavior, Air Forces Research Lab
- PI, Automatic 3-D Human Body Shape Extraction from a Single-aperture 3D Infrared sensor for Biometric Applications, Air Forces Research Lab
- PI, 3-D Ultrasound Imaging Technology and the Development of 3-D Image Analysis Technology for Cattle Reproduction Application, USDA