Zeyad T. Ahmed
- Cell: 906-231-5081
- Research Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Senior Environmental Engineer, Saudi Aramco
- PhD, Environmental Engineering, Michigan Technological University
- MS, Environmental Engineering, Michigan Technological University
- MS, Civil Engineering, The University of Mosul
- BS, Civil Engineering, The University of Mosul
- Environmental Processes Engineering (graduate class)
- Environmental Engineering
- Engineering Design Project
- Environmental Processes and Simulation
- Chemical processes, water chemistry
- Lake Superior Ecology
- Advanced water treatment and removal of VOCs from water.
- Advanced wastewater treatment systems, and oil/water separation.
- Environmental processes with focus on adsorption behavior and characterization.
- Chemical/Physical processes simulation and modeling.
- Sustainable and renewable energy systems and sustainable materials for infrastructure.
- Energy and materials recovery from waste and wastewater.
- Cross- disciplinary research between environmental, civil and material engineering.
- MS Studies: The effect of inorganic shocks (NaCl) on the efficiency of aerobic biological treatment.
- MS Studies: Development of photocatalysts for the production on hydrogen from sunlight and water.
- PhD Studies: Quantification of the adsorption capacity of air entraining additives on fly ash to develop new standards and test procedures that can be used to assess the usability of fly ash in concrete.
- Life-Cycle Assessment of Unconventional Methane Feedstock Procurement. AICHE Abstract #433955, AICHE 2015 Annual Meeting, Sustainable Engineering Forum. November 8-13, 2015, Salk Lake City,Utah, USA. Read More
- Direct adsorption isotherms of AEAs and fly ash: Alpha olefin sulfonate and combination admixtures. Zeyad Ahmed and David Hand. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 2015, 3 (2), pp 216–223, 2015. Read More
- The Effect Volatile Organic Compounds on GAC Adsorbers. Water Arabia 2015 Conference & Exhibition, 17 to 19 February, 2015, Le Meridien, Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia. Read More
- Characterization of Coal Fly Ash by the Absolute Foam Index. Melanie Kueber Watkins, Zeyad Ahmed, Lawrence Sutter, and David Hand. ACI materials Journal, Volume 112, Issue 3, pp 393-398, May 2015. Read More
- Removal of Volatile Organic Contaminants via Low Profile Aeration Technology [Project #4439], Zeyad T. Ahmed, David W. Hand, and David L. Perram. Water Research Foundation, Dec. 2014. Read More
- Fly Ash Iodine Number for Measuring the Adsorption Capacity of Coal Fly Ash. Zeyad Ahmed, David Hand, Lawrence Sutter and Melanie Kueber. ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 111, No. 4, July-August,2014, pp 383-390. Read More
- Design Considerations for Fixed Bed GAC Systems Treating Low Level cVOCs. Zeyad Ahmed and David Hand. MI AWWA 76 th Annual Conference, September 9-12, 2014, Manistee, Michigan. Read More
- Air Entraining Admixtures Partitioning and Adsorption by Coal Fly Ash in Concrete. Zeyad Ahmed, David Hand, Melanie Watkins and Lawrence Sutter. ACS Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 2014, 53 (11), pp 4239–4246. Read More
- Combined Adsorption Isotherms for the Quantification of Air Entraining Admixtures Adsorption by Fly Ash in Concrete. Zeyad Ahmed, David Hand, Melanie Watkins and Lawrence Sutter. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 2014, 2 (4), pp 614–620. Read More
- The Quantification of the Adsorption Capacity of Fly Ash. Zeyad Ahmed and David Hand. ACS Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 2014, 53 (17), pp 6985–6989. Read More
- The Quantification of the Fly Ash Adsorption Capacity for the Purpose of Characterization and Use in Concrete, PhD dissertation, Michigan Technological University, 2012.
- Designing Fixed-Bed Granular Activated Carbon Adsorbers for Removal of Volatile Organic Chemicals, The effect of lowering the MCLs on the treatment cost. David Hand and Zeyad Ahmed, AWWA, Washington, DC, October 26, 2011.
- Productivity and silver fate in silver loaded ceramic filters, Zeyad Ahmed, Nate Arnold, Brie Rust S-STEM NSF research report, 2011.
- Utilization of fly ash in concrete, Life cycle assessment, Brandon Ellefson and Zeyad Ahmed, S-STEM NSF research report, 2010.
- NCEES and MI LARA: Professional Engineer, Michigan. License No. 6201061008
- Saudi Council of Engineers: Consultant Engineer
- Iraqi Engineers Union: Licensed engineer
- Water Environment Federation (WEF)
- American Water Works Association (AWWA)
- Faculty advisor, MichiganTech Fishing Club, 2012- 2014
- Faculty advisor, Copper Country Ice fishing Club, 2011-2012
Technical Software Skills
- Expert level knowledge in Environmental Technologies Design Option Tool (ETDOT)
- Significant experience using and teaching the USEPA model AQUATOX.
- Significant experience using and teaching the USEPA river and stream water quality model (QUAL2K)
- Significant experience using SimaPro, the widely used life cycle assessment (LCA) software