Our mission is to provide an educational, professional, and intellectual experience that enables a diverse body of students, alumni, faculty, and staff to improve societal well-being through education, research, practice, and service.
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering will provide unique educational and research opportunities for students and faculty that promote fundamental understanding of our disciplines while providing a strong foundation to adapt to future change and improve the condition of humanity.
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) aims to promote a culture that values teamwork and collaboration while recognizing all contributions of faculty, staff, and students to meet our core mission. We acknowledge and respect the importance of diversity in an inclusive environment and recognize how this helps shape our Department culture. We aim to reinforce the importance of safety to our department’s constituents as industry expects these values in our graduates. To facilitate this culture, the Department realizes that faculty and staff accessibility to our students remains a top priority to support the building of mutually-beneficial, life-long relationships and the development of our graduating engineers.
- Impact: We value excellence, hard work, and dedication as we strive to design and apply engineering solutions to society’s most pressing problems.
- Innovation: We value leadership in research innovation and the conveyance of cutting-edge knowledge to our constituents.
- Integrity: We value attention to responsibility and accountability in our endeavors.
- Inclusivity: We value a welcoming culture based on communication, teamwork, and appreciation of diverse identities, perspectives, skills, and abilities.
- Involvement: We value our community interaction and service to enhance public engagement, encourage future career interest, and support our professional networks.
- Work-life intersection: We value a work environment that promotes each individual’s safety, health, and happiness.
Diversity and Inclusion
To further the Department’s mission of teaching, research, and service, the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Michigan Technological University strives to be diverse, inclusive, and respectful of all Department staff, faculty, and students in support of the University’s Diversity Statement. The goal of this statement is to ensure everyone will be given equitable support, opportunity, and access to resources necessary to realize individual potential while contributing to the success of the Department.
The Department adopts the University’s definition of diversity and non-discrimination statement as follows: Diversity encompasses the differences that we each bring with us through our individual backgrounds, which include race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, height, weight, genetic information, socioeconomic class, marital status, differently abled, and veteran status. Inclusive means that all members will be welcomed, respected, and engaged in all aspects of the Department in which they choose to be involved.