Shipments that can't be directly delivered to your department because of size, weight, or contents—like large items and pallets—come to Central Receiving in the Facilities Building. We are also the default drop-off for incorrectly addressed packages.
Missing a parcel? Check the undeliverable package page.
Central Receiving FAQs
How do I correctly address my shipment?
Michigan Technological University
Building and Department, Office Room Number
1400 Townsend Drive
Houghton, MI 49931
How long will it take to have a package delivered?
You usually receive your shipment within 48 hours—if not, we will notify you. If you need your delivery expedited, contact us at 487-2701 to make arrangements.
Can I ship packages out through Central Receiving?
Small packages less than 70 pounds are handled by Michigan Tech Mail Services. If you have a large item that must go through Central Receiving:
- Review and follow the procedures detailed in this GUIDE for shipping out freight items.
- Please call our office if you need additional information or assistance (487-2701)
Can I ship or receive personal packages?
No. Only University packages can go through Central Receiving. We do not ship or receive personal packages.
What should I do if I receive a damaged package?
Immediately contact Central Receiving at 487-2701.
My delivery needs refrigeration. Can you do that?
Central Receiving has a standard size freezer/refrigerator on site for items that require cold storage.
What is the delivery process for large packages?
- Central Receiving calls the department to confirm the correct contact. The contact should be someone trustworthy who is available to sign for the package at time of delivery. It can be the addressee, or another staff member in the office or a nearby office.
- Grounds staff delivers packages. They will use the contact information you have given us to let you know when they will deliver it.
- The contact person must sign for the package to verify the delivery was received.