- Department Chair and Professor, Kinesiology and Integrative Physiology
- Assistant to the VPR for Research Development
- Affiliated Professor, Biological Sciences, Cognitive and Learning Sciences
- PhD, Biological Sciences, Michigan Technological University
- BS, Biological Sciences, Michigan Technological University
Links of Interest
- Autonomic and Cardiovascular Control in Humans
- Neurovascular Responses to Mental Stress
- Sleep and Autonomic Activity in Humans
- Sex Differences and Sympathetic Activity
- Aerobic and Anaerobic Balance in Elite Athletes
- Hart EC, Head G, Carter JR, Wallin BG, May C, Hamza SM, Hall JE, Charkoudian N, and Osborn J. Recording sympathetic nerve activity in conscious humans and other mammals: guidelines and the road to standardization. American Journal of Physiology - Heart and Circulatory Physiology 312:H1031-H1051, 2017.
- Fonkoue IT, Wang M, Carter JR. Family history of hypertension and sympathetic neural reactivity to mental stress in humans. American Journal of Physiology - Heart and Circulatory Physiology311:H426-432, 2016.
- Grimaldi D, Carter JR, Van Cauter E, and Leproult R. Adverse impact of sleep restriction and circadian misalignment on autonomic function in healthy young adults. Hypertension 68:243-250, 2016.
- Carter JR, McCullagh P and Krieder R. Innovation and entrepreneurship within kinesiology: Survey results from the 2016 AKA workshop. Kinesiology Review 5:205-214, 2016.
- Carter JR, Fonkoue IT, Grimaldi D, Emami L, Gozal D, Sullivan CE, and Mokhlesi B. Positive airway pressure therapy improves nocturnal beat-to- beat blood pressure surges in obesity hypoventilation syndrome with obstructive sleep apnea. American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory, Integrative, and Comparative Physiology 310: R602-R611, 2016.
- Carter JR and Ray CA. Sympathetic neural adaptations to exercise training in humans. Autonomic Neuroscience 188: 36-43, 2015. Epub Oct 24, 2014.
- Yang H, Durocher JJ, Larson RA, DellaValla JP, and Carter JR. Total sleep deprivation alters cardiovascular reactivity to acute stressors in humans. Journal of Applied Physiology (In Press). Epub, July 19, 2012
- Carter JR. Sympathetic neural tone: Large and in charge throughout pregnancy. Journal of Physiology (London). (In Press).
- Carter JR, Schwartz CE, Yang H, and Joyner MJ. Fish oil and neurovascular control in humans. American Journal of Physiology - Heart and Circulatory Physiology (In Press). Epub June 15, 2012.
- Carter JR, Durocher JJ, Larson RA, DellaValla JP, and Yang H. Sympathetic neural responses to 24-hour sleep deprivation in humans: sex differences. American Journal of Physiology – Heart and Circulation Physiology 302:H1991-H1997, 2012. Epub March 9, 2012.
- Yang H, Cooke WH, Reed KS, and Carter JR. Sex differences in hemodynamic and sympathetic neural firing patterns during orthostatic challenge in humans. Journal of Applied Physiology 112:1744-1751, 2012. Epub March 8, 2012.
- Durocher JJ, Lufkin KM, King ME, and Carter JR. Social technology restriction alters state anxiety but not autonomic activity in humans. American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory, Integrative, and Comparative Physiology 301:R1773-R1778, 2011. Epub Sept 28, 2011.
- Durocher JJ, Klein JC, and Carter JR. Attenuation of sympathetic baroreflex sensitivity during the onset of acute mental stress in humans. American Journal of Physiology - Heart and Circulatory Physiology 300:H1788-H1793, 2011. Epub Feb 25, 2011.