In the lab. In demand.
Scientist, researcher, technologist, forensic specialist—Michigan Tech has 100 percent placement for students completing a clinical practicum. Land your dream job.
Medical laboratory scientists seek to improve and extend life by acting as diagnostic specialists. They’re key members of the medical team, detecting disease and other conditions by performing critical analyses on blood, tissues, and bodily fluids. You’ll be ready for a career as a medical technologist, laboratory scientist, or teaching technologist in a hospital, forensic lab, pharmaceutical lab, veterinary hospital, or research facility.
Fulfill the critical need for medical laboratory science professionals and customize your work to land your dream job. Learn by doing—working in cutting-edge labs on high-level research projects alongside faculty among the best in the field.
Crazy Smart Experiences:
- Working with world-class faculty in state-of-the-art laboratories on research, projects, and lab assignments
- Conducting your own undergraduate research project through the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program such as examining pentachlorophenol contamination in an abandoned lumber yard in the Upper Peninsula
- Getting involved with the Society of Medical Laboratory Scientists or Phi Sigma, the national honor society for biological sciences
- Taking part in a clinical practicum as part of your degree where you’ll intern at an accredited hospital laboratory
Create the Future with Careers In:
- Medical laboratory science
- Forensic laboratory science
- Medical technology
- Laboratory information system technology
Huskies Get Hired By:
- Hospitals and medical centers
- Government agencies
Customize your degree with:
Concentrations available in
- 3+1 or 4+1 Cytotechnology
- 4+1 Histotechnology
- 3+1 or 4+1 Medical Laboratory Science
Minors available in
- Biological Science
- Bioprocess Engineering
- Fish Biology
- Nanoscale Science and Engineering
- Plant Biotechnology
- Plant Sciences
You can also earn a master’s in one additional year through the Accelerated Master’s program.
Take courses like:
- Molecular Biology
- Medical Parasitology Laboratory
- Clinical Chemistry
- Hematology and Homeostasis