The Washington Experience
Michigan Tech students are encouraged to create the future through applying their skills and knowledge. The Washington Experience program provides students with the opportunity to leverage their skills in out nation's capital and explore their passions through internships and seminars. Michigan Tech is partnering with The Washington Center (TWC) to provide structured FALL, SPRING, or SUMMER semesters in Washington D.C.
The Washington Center Program
Academic Program (12 credits)
- Internship Experience (6 credits)
- Work with TWC staff to arrange an internship with an agency, NGO, or legislative office of interest. Most interns work 30 hours per week (Monday-Thursday).
LEAD Colloquium (3 credits)
Elective (3 credits)
- Choose from a variety of electives in policy, history, civic engagement, and other areas that fit your interests and degree program.
- Guaranteed accommodation's in one of the multiple shared housing complexes in downtown D.S. Quick and easy access to transportation and community living environment for interacting with your fellow interns.
- Program fees are built into the cost of one semester in-state tuition at Michigan Tech
- Scholarships are available from Michigan Tech (through program application) and TWC.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have completed 30 credits or above during the term of the internship
- All majors are eligible
- Maintain a grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- A F-1 or J-1 visa that is valid through at least the last day of the program
- Spring 2018 - October 11th, 2017
- Summer 2018 - February 21st, 2018
- Fall 2018 - April 18th, 2018
- Spring 2019 - October 17th, 2018
- Summer 2019 - February 20th, 2019
Capitol Hill Internship Program
In addition to the structured partnership with The Washington Center, Michigan Tech can assist you in your application for other summer and semester based internship programs throughout Washington D.C., including potentially providing stipends, as most internships are unpaid. If you plan on applying directly to a congressional office, please contact our office for assistance.
|House of Representatives
|Representative Jack Bergman (MI-1st District)||Ongoing Applications|
|Representative John Moolenaar (MI-4th District)||Ongoing Applications|
|Senator Gary Peters||Fall Deadline - July 17th, 2017|
|Senator Debbie Stabenow||Ongoing Applications|