Michigan Tech Magazine Winter 2008-09
- Janet Murgittroyd ’63 retired to travel, gardening, kayaking, sailing, and bridge, and would love to hear from fellow “toots.”(You can send Janet a note through the online directory in HuskyLink, www.huskylink.mtu.edu.)
- Michael Russo ’69 has been named executive secretary of the AEEC, an association of airlines and aircraft manufacturers that develops ARINC Standards for avionics and cabin systems. Mike recently celebrated thirty years of employment at Aeronautical Radio Inc. in Annapolis, MD.
- Richard Newell ’70 rediscovered ice hockey in March 2008, playing in fifty-plus pickup games at The Gardens Ice House, between Baltimore and DC, and loving it! Yea, Red Wings! www.xanga.com/hockeygear
- Douglas Schurig ’73 has retired after a thirty-five-year career with American Motors and Chrysler, most recently as the national operations manager for fleet remarketing operations in Auburn Hills, MI.
- Alan Sabin ’76 is the operations manager for Caterpillar at the Perkins Power Systems Technologies Co. (Wuxi) Ltd. in Wuxi, Jiangsu Province, China. He and his wife, Shar, have lived in China for two years in Shanghai and Suzhou.
- Warren Brown ’79 is president of Echo Valley Safety Consulting LLC in Niles, MI. Warren was previously senior safety manager with Carrier Commercial Refrigeration.
- Michael Sekely ’80 has recently been promoted to northeastern US division operations manager for Weyerhaeuser Company in their wood products distribution division. Michael is in his twenty-sixth year with the company and just recently moved to Marquette, MI, with his wife, Jeanne. Also, both of their children are now Michigan Tech students! Jill, a senior, and Clay, a freshman.
- Capt. Jeffrey Paradee ’81, CEC USN, is in a one-year deployment in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, Kabul, Afghanistan, as director of engineering for Combined Security Transition Command-Afghanistan.
- John Travis ’82 announces the birth of Liam John Travis on 11/4/07. In training to be a Huskies goalie already!
- Kent Blossom ’83 has been named vice president, trusted identity solutions, at IBM. He leads a global team of complex identity management specialists from his office in Wilmington, NC.
- Roy Schulde ’92 was hired at GPM North America Corp. in Troy, MI, as vice president‚ business development. GPM is a manufacturer of water/oil pumps and front-end modules for the automotive industry. He is GPM’s first employee in the US and is responsible for their NA operations and future manufacturing location in the NAFTA market.
- Kevin Willey ’92 relocated from Madison to Green Bay after accepting a position with Wisconsin Public Service as an electric supply and control supervisor in downtown Green Bay. His group oversees the real-time operation of all generation resources in the WPS and UPPCO service territories in Wisconsin and Upper Michigan.
- Curtis Finney ’93 announces the birth of Rowan Charles Finney on 7/3/08.
- Joseph Schultz ’94 is now the engineering and test lab manager for IEE Sensing Inc. in Auburn Hills, MI.
- Roger Seidl ’94 announces the birth of Makena May Seidl on 3/7/08.
- Jonathan Evans ’95 and Amy Cicilian were married on 11/17/07 in Clinton Township, MI.
- Sara ’95 and Mark Hurley ’95 announce the birth of Claire Elise Hurley on 5/15/08.
- Kathryn Remlinger ’95 was promoted to professor at Grand Valley State, where she has taught linguistics since 1995. Her current research focuses on the development and change of English in the Copper Country.
- Tammy (Ziemnick) Foster ’96 and Jim Foster ’96 announce the birth of Peter Frederick on 5/5/08. He joins brother, Ben, 5, and sister, Becca, 3.
- Sarah Huaman ’96 announces the birth of Scarlett Ann on 7/29/08. Big sisters Emma and Lexi welcomed the addition of their baby sister.
- Sara Zimmer ’96 completed her PhD in Biochemistry, Cell, and Molecular Biology at Cornell University and is now employed as a postdoctoral fellow at SUNY-Buffalo. She studies RNA decay in Trypanosome mitochondria.
- Peter Villas ’97 was promoted to assistant forest administrator for Marinette County, in charge of the day-to-day decisions on the county forest, as well as helping with budget planning and policy making.
- Laura ’98 and Michael Hoeflein announce the birth of Cecilia Therese on 11/9/07.
- DJ ’98 and Michelle (Chenail) VanLangevelde ’98 announce their family: Lily Irene, born 4/25/07, Gracie Anna, born 10/28/00, and Mathieu David, born 3/18/03. Michelle is a jewelry artist and has started her own business, www.technicallyartbymichelle.com.
- Scott and Laura (Kah) Boom ’99 announce the birth of Parker Charles Boom into our family on 7/9/08. He was welcomed home by siblings Gavin, Zach, and Shelby.
- Emily Kemp ’99 announces the birth of Maya Juliet Kemp on 7/30/08.
- Megin (Agostinelli) Dressel ’00 and Peter Dressel announce the birth of Joseph Frederick on 3/10/08, welcomed home by Isaac.
- Benjamin T. Gerold ’98 and Laura A. (Arlt) Gerold ’00 announce the birth of Daniel Thomas Gerold, on 4/24/08. His big brother, Kile, is very happy with the new addition. Laura was awarded the Wisconsin Young Civil Engineer of the Year Award 2007 by the Wisconsin Section of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
- Dennis Popma ’00 and Agnieszka Lajewska were married in Hamburg, Germany, at a civil ceremony on 8/12/08 and also at a religious ceremony in Gdansk, Poland, on 10/11/08. Dennis is a strategic controller for Autoliv in Hamburg, where the couple resides. Agnieszka is a junior marketing and sales manager for Medac in Wedel, Germany. Dennis is earning his MBA with Nordakademie, which he will complete in June 2009.
- Bryan MacKenzie ’01 lives in Cypress, TX, working for Enbridge Energy, managing numerous projects across North America. Beth and daughter, Ava, are doing very well, spending most of their summers visiting Upper Michigan and traveling the rest of the year to see friends and family throughout the country.
- Karen Owens Lannom ’01 recently moved to Plymouth, NH, with her husband, Keith, and son, Bryce, for Keith’s new job as deputy forest supervisor for the White Mountain National Forest. Karen continues to work remotely as a research associate for the University of Tennessee.
Brian Bickers ’02 and Debra Bickers announce the birth of Collin William on 3/3/08.
- James ’02 and Amanda (Wilmoth) Salliotte ’02 have two future Huskies at home. Andrew James was born on 4/14/05, and Madilyn Delaney was born on 11/15/06.
- Bridget Cannon ’03 and Matthew Walsh were married on 4/5/08 at St. Bernardine Church in Forest Park, IL.
- Travis Pegg ’03 with fiancé, Kathleen, and dog, Rocco, have recently moved to Cedar Rapids, IA. Travis will be working for FPL energy at the Duane Arnold Energy Center as the systems engineer responsible for the emergency diesel generators.
- Mark Anderson ’04 and Deirdre Johns ’04 were married on 7/19/08 in Marquette, MI.
- Kevin Soper ’04 recently relocated with his family to Brentwood, CA. He took a transfer within Dow and is now working as a production coordinator in the Chlorpyridines Complex at Pittsburg, CA.
- Carl Jarema ’06 married Cindy Kurc ’06 on 8/16/08 in Alpena, MI. They now live in Plymouth, MI.
- Kathryn (Price) Sterk ’07 and Daniel Sterk ’07 were married on 3/10/07.
- Tom Bartlett ’08 is working at Union Pacific in Omaha, NE. He designs circuits in the train yard and interned at Union Pacific while he was at Tech.
The Michigan Tech family extends condolences to the relatives and friends of those who have passed away recently.