Michigan Tech Magazine Spring 2008
- Robert Tiura '68: I am retiring (second time as a consultant) and will be traveling and golfing in 2008. I retired in 2002 after 33+ years with the state of Michigan building roads and bridges in metro Detroit. I also consulted for 5 years on MDOT projects in Oakland and Wayne Counties. I hope to be at the alumni reunion this year for the first time since graduation (no time to travel during construction season in Michigan during the summers!).
- James Lind '69 has retired from Hewlett Packard after 17 years. He lives with his wife, Diana Lind, in Colorado Springs and is working part time as an independent contractor in the field of Data Center Technologies. He operates a business in wedding photography and videography and also is a partner in Lind General Construction&Design that is owned and operated by his son, Michael.
- Bob Mitchell '71 recently accepted a senior project manager position with Burns&McDonnell in their energy division located in Kansas City, MO.
- David Karjala '76 received the 2007 Presidential Award, UMUC Adelphi.
- John '77 and Julie Cabaniss adopted Sara Drake Cabaniss, born 6/27/06.
- Sheri Panozzo '79: I have received my municipal clerk certification and am now the deputy clerk for the City of Berkley, MI.
- David Anderson '80 is director, long products, for the American Iron and Steel Institute. He resides in Bloomfield Hills, MI.
- Duane Mariotti '80 has relocated to Riverside County in Southern California. He is employed as a clinical (biomedical) engineer with Kaiser Permanente Healthcare. He has three teenage children.
- Christopher Shenefelt '80 has been named executive vice president for Global Operations at Intersections Inc.
- Jim Buffington '82 has been promoted to production manager, Brazed Plate Heat Exchangers, at the new facility of GEA PHE Systems North America Inc. in York, PA.
- Lee Hansen '82: In December 2007, I moved to Clear Lake, IA, after accepting a new software engineering position with TeamQuest Corporation. With the kids grown and out of the house, and Tracy's agreement on moving, the decision to leave Minnesota after 25 years was very easy.
- Kurt Larson '82: I jumped on a jet at Houghton County Airport in July 1982 and ended up in Scotland. My twenty-four-year, semi-professional career was with Foster Yeoman Limited, the largest independent minerals company in Europe. We were put up for sale in 2006 and I led an MBO bid that was second only to a multinational. I have formed my own minerals consulting business called Result Consulting LLC with offices in far-flung places like Fort William, Scotland, and Chassell (bought a place on the Portage many years ago). Work takes me all over Europe and the US, but I still find plenty of time for hunting, skiing, and partying. Somehow I also managed to write four novels (so far), which can be found under my name at Amazon.com. One that might bring back memories is called Winter Carnival (Queen) and is set in the early 1980s. Enjoy.
- Daniel Leveille '83 and Rhonda Gentry were married in Fort Worth, TX, on 11/10/07. Dan is a Lieutenant Colonel in the Air Force Reserve Command; stationed at Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth as the Tenth Air Force Civil Engineer. He has served 31 years in the military. Rhonda is currently working as a Veterinary Office Manager. She has an extensive human resources background and retired from the Air Force Reserve Command with 22 years of service in December 2006. Dan and Rhonda happily reside in Benbrook, TX.
- Richard Hoffman '85: I have rejoined Reising, Ethington, Barnes, Kisselle, an intellectual proper law firm in Troy, MI, as a shareholder. I originally worked for Reising from 1985 to 2001. My focus is on intellectual property litigation.
- Valeris Leveille '87 is currently teaching high school science and mentoring the FIRST Robotics team at Henry Ford Academy inside of The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn.
- Rick '87 and Stacy (McKimm) Stevens: announcing the birth of Margaret Virginia (Mattie) Stevens on 5/17/07. Rick was recently named quality manager at Memphis Contract Packaging Inc. (MCP)/Softee Products in Somerville, TN. He and his family are in the process of relocating to Memphis.
- Paula Rieden Hultman '89 received a Master of Science degree in Engineering Management from the University of Michigan, April 2006. Paula recently accepted a position with Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, as a lean manufacturing engineer in the supplier technical assistance organization.
- Tim Swanson '89 is vice president of brand and channel marketing at the ITW-Miller in Appleton, WI.
- Jeffrey '90 and Jody Harma welcomed Jeffrey Ryan Harma on 10/22/07. He was 8 pounds 3 ounces and 21 inches long.
- Jason Brewer '92 PE has accepted a position in Troy, MI, as director of business development for the Transmission Group within Magna Powertrain. Previously, Jason was a management consultant with Plante & Moran.
- Karen (Mikkola) Swager '92, '94 and David Swager were married on 11/16/07.
- Daniel and Sarah '93 (Carmody) Wicker announce the arrival of their daughter Georgia Rose on 10/4/07.
- James W. Allison '94 is a senior airframe engineer for CJ series business jets at Cessna Aircraft Company in Wichita, KS. He lives in Wichita with his wife and four sons.
- Darren Brown '94: Consultant with Kolano and Saha Engineers, Inc. in acoustics, noise, and vibration. Licensed PE in Michigan. INCE Board-Certified Noise Control Engineer.
- Scott and Tera '95 Blauwkamp are thrilled to announce the birth of our son, Caleb Michael Blauwkamp, on 10/29/07.
- Matthew Loew '95 recently joined engineering consulting firm DAXCON Engineering as chief engineer and currently working with P&H Mining Equipment in Milwaukee, WI. Cate and I are thrilled to announce the birth of our son, Max Lewis Loew. Born 12/14/07. The Loew clan has moved to Grafton, WI.
- Tamsen Bissell '96 and Scott Corbat '96, with big sister, Tessa, announce the arrival of Maxwell Bissell Corbat on 8/19/07.
- Kyle and Hilari Madison '96: Max Ransom Madison was born on 9/14/07.
- Jeremy Parkinson '96 married Brook Enyeart.
- Julie Brown '97: master's degree in quality engineering from Wayne State University, Detroit, MI.
- Richard Harrington '97: planning forester at Weyerhaeuser, Livingston, LA. Daughter, Ava, was born 9/3/04.
- Thomas James '97 recently promoted to mechanical engineer-staff, as mechanical integration lead for the crew module for NASA's Project Orion. Member of Leadership Program of the Rockies 2006 class. Current president of Denver Metro Young Republicans.
- Amy (Furr) Stone '97 and Matthew Stone: Alyssa Marie Stone was born on 7/18/07.
- Tamara (Misner) Brockington '98 and Robert (Boomer) Brockington '98 welcomed a baby boy, Cade Dakota
- Brian Brockington, on 10/4/07. He joins big sister, Havanah Paige Brilea Brockington (9/18/04).
- Matt and Jenny (Warren) Meyer '98 Baby Girl: Erin Sloan Meyer (12/28/07). Welcomed home by twin sisters Megan and Kiersten (4).
- Kara Corcoran Jackson '98: Patrick Harrison Jackson born 6/20/07.
- Krista (Norden) LaPunzina '98 and Chris LaPunzina were married on 7/20/07 in Philadelphia. We reside in Pelham, NY, and work in Manhattan. Chris is a senior project manager at a real estate development company. Krista is a senior manager in human resources at Deloitte Services, LP.
- John and Amy '98 (Dalrymple) Ryan: Madeline Tate Ryan was born on 6/20/07.
- Jeff '99 and Sheila '99 Kelly Boinski: Kelly Elizabeth Boinski was born 8/7/07.
- Steve Ducat '99 and Erin Strauch were married 10/6/07 in Palos Park, IL. They live in Glendale Heights, IL. Steve works for Aldridge Electric in Libertyville, IL, and Erin is a chiropractor working for Fox Chiropractic in Geneva, IL.
- Jessica (Hutzler) Hauser '99 and Jeremy Hauser '03 were married in Houghton on 8/13/05. We live in Woodbury, MN. Jessica works for Target Corporation in communications and Jeremy works for Bonestroo Engineering.
- Alicia (Bushfield) Huntley '99 and Greg Huntley '98: Liam Gregory Huntley was born 3/19/07. Big sister is Claire, born 10/13/04.
- Don and Tracy (Zelenak) Lynd '99 announce the birth of their daughter Amelia Fiona Lynd, on 11/26/2007.
- Janna '99 (Pugh) Roome and Eric Roome '99: Piper Lynne Roome born 8/22/07 in Las Vegas, NV.
- David Shafer '99: Elisabeth Jean Shafer, born 11/30/07.
- Abbey (Harbert) Bacak '00 and Joel Bacak: Brynn Elizabeth Bacak born 11/9/07; Emerson Grace Bacak, born 3/21/06.
- Sarah (Fenton) Bielinski '00 married Christopher Bielinski '00 on 8/23/07 in Golden, CO, on top of Lookout Mountain. Sarah is a Facilities Engineer for EnCana Oil&Gas (USA) Inc. in Denver. Christopher is a Senior Data Architect for IBM Corporate Marketing Division in Boulder.
- Theresa Bouchard '00 is a biology/earth science teacher and volleyball coach for the Hopkins School, New Haven, CT. She completed a geo-science study on Hawai'i in July 2007.
- Jon Brown '00: I have changed careers with the Boeing Company in Seattle. I am transitioning from a job in test program integration (project management) to flight test engineering for the commercial airplanes division. I will be working on flight tests for the systems group (environmental control systems, mechanical/hydraulics, electrical systems, and EME).
- Laura Haas '00: I have changed positions within James Madison University and am now working in the Career and Academic Planning Office as an academic and career advisor. I still live in Harrisonburg, VA.
- Jennifer Edwards Haehn '00 married Richard Haehn '99 on 10/13/07.
- Jesse '00 and Karen '00 (Bell) Gwidt: Kristina Margaret Gwidt was born on 12/23/07.
- John Karpus '00 graduated with a PhD in Condensed Matter Physics from Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. Now a senior engineer with Intel working in Portland Technology Development.
- Stefanie Kelley '00: Ethan Michael Haines and Evan Michael Haines born 12/5/07.
- Karen Owens Lannom '01: Karen and Keith are happy to announce the birth of their son Bryce Owens Lannom, 6/12/07. He's a cutie!
- Christopher Lubowicki '00: Elizabeth Grace was born on 11/16/07.
- Eddie and Gretchen '00 Railling are ecstatic with the arrival of their second daughter, Casey Alexis, on 10/4/07 (Gretchen's 30th birthday!). Big sister, Avery Grace, adores her!
- Jason '00 and Diana Stark '00: Bret Daniel Stark born 11/1/07.
- Kelly '00 (Mitchell) and Addam Staron '99: Abigail Lynn and Matthew David Staron were born on 10/24/07.
- Sarah Ratcliff '00 Zaler married Michael Zalar on 11/3/07 in Midland, MI.
- Andrea Dreyer '01 married Matt Zuehlk 6/17/06 in Bloomfield Hills, MI.
- Jeremy Fehrman '01 married Allison M. Bourgeois of Bennington, VT, on 3/10/07. We currently reside in Suffolk, VA.
- Michelle Manarolla '01 and Kevin Ford '04 would like to announce their engagement and plan to marry in June 2009 in northern Michigan. Both are currently living in Middletown, CT.
- Matt Sohrweide '01 and wife, Amy, welcome new addition of Adelle Joy Sohrweide.
- Andrew '02 and Kristine (Wickstrom) Garn '00, new addition, James, 3/25/07.
- Sheree Hoover '02 is engaged to Jason Kappen. The wedding is planned for 10/4/08.
- Joseph '02 and Tammie (Martinson) Paoli '02: Vin, born 2/14/08.
- Brent Burns '03 and Catherine (Horsch) Burns '03 welcomed Alexandra Lee Burns to the world on 2/6/08.
- Chad Habermehl '03 and Jessica Auge '05 were wed on 6/30/07. The couple met at Michigan Tech. Many Tech alumni and students came together for the celebration.
- Emily Miller '03, senior mechanical engineer at Cardinal Health, lives in San Diego, CA.
- Jason Seidenstucker '03 married Alisha Nash on 2/4/06.
- Grant Shafer '03, mechanical engineer at S. A. Robotics in Loveland, CO.
- Casey Sparks '03 and Laura '02 (Rasey) Sparks welcomed Georgia Ann Sparks on 2/15/2006 and Austin Glen Sparks on 6/28/2007.
- Amanda (Kartes) Parsons '04 and JR Parsons '05 welcomed Ava Noelle on 9/25/03 and Noah James on 9/7/06. Amanda and JR were married on 12/2/06.
- Adam Podleski '04 and Beth Wnuk '04 were engaged on 9/23/06 on Mt. Adams in Washington and were married on 7/20/07 outside the Seattle metro area.
- Mike Brewster '05 is a Project Engineer with Harley-Davidson Motor Co., and is working in Milwaukee, WI.
- Aaron Linford '05 married Claire Adams '05 on 7/7/07.
- Christopher J. Strebel, '05 married Jennifer L. Bonfigt on 9/15/07. Jennifer graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2004 with a BA in Journalism and Sociology. The couple resides in De Pere, WI.
- Carl Jarema '06: I have recently moved to the Plymouth, MI, area to become a test engineer for automotive seating components at Johnson Controls. I was an intern here from 2002 to 2005. I was working in the cement industry as a maintenance engineer the past 1.5 years.
- Phil Kocken '06 is working for Curt G. Joa, Inc., in Sheboygan Falls, WI.
The Michigan Tech family extends condolences to the relatives and friends of those who have passed away recently.