The Huskies opened the 2017 season with a 38-14 victory over Truman State on Thursday night under the lights at Sherman Field. It was the eighth straight season-opening win for the Huskies as they dominated the second half allowing the visitors only 15 yards of total offense and scoring the game's final 24 points after a 14-all tie. Up next is another non-conference game, and the first road contest of the year, at Hillsdale College. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.
The squad began its season at the Hillsdale Tournament over the weekend. The Huskies fell in five sets to the host Chargers Thursday. The first win of the season was a 3-0 sweep of Indianapolis Friday. Tech split Saturday with a sweep of Glenville State and five-set defeat to Findlay.The Huskies host the Keweenaw Classic this weekend at the SDC Gym. There will be 16 total matches in the tournament with one Thursday, eight Friday and seven Saturday. Tech plays Thursday evening at 6:30 p.m., Friday at 1:30 and 7:30 p.m. and Saturday at 7 p.m.
Soccer split its opening weekend in Minnesota. The Huskies began the season with a 1-0 shutout at Winona State. Sarah Boyd scored from Emily Zeitunian early in the second half for the lone goal. Kirsen Hudak and Amanda Young each played a half between the pipes, combining for the shutout with 14 saves. On Sunday, St. Cloud State scored 23:00 into the game for the only goal in a 1-0 Tech loss. Hudak and Young once again split time, totaling six saves. The Huskies start the home schedule this week at Sherman Field, hosting Bemidji State Friday at 5 p.m. and Minnesota Duluth at noon on Sunday.
WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS WEEK
• Huskies Drive Time, 7:30-8 a.m. on 93.5 FM
• Volleyball vs. Mary, 6:30 p.m. at SDC Gym on 93.5 FM
• Women's Tennis vs. Lake Superior State (Southfield, Mich.)
• Men's Tennis vs. Lake Superior State (Southfield, Mich.)
• Volleyball vs. Bemidji State, 1:30 p.m. at SDC Gym
• Soccer vs. Bemidji State, 5 p.m. at Sherman Field
• Volleyball vs. St. Cloud State, 7:30 p.m. at SDC Gym
• Cross Country at UW-Parkside's Midwest Open
• Women's Tennis at Hillsdale, 10 a.m.
• Football at Hillsdale, 1 p.m. on 93.5 FM
• Volleyball vs. Minnesota Duluth, 7 p.m. at SDC Gym on 93.5 FM
• Women's Tennis at Lawrence Tech
• Men's Tennis at Lawrence Tech
• Soccer vs. Minnesota Duluth, Noon at Sherman Field
For more on Huskies sports visit michigantechhuskies.com.