Sunil S. Mehendale
- EERC 323
Assistant Professor, School of Technology
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland-College Park
- MTech, Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, India
- BE, Mechanical Engineering, University of Bombay, India
Sunil Mehendale is an Assistant Professor in the School of Technology at Michigan Technological University. Prior to joining Michigan Tech as a faculty member, he worked for Carrier Corporation, Syracuse, NY as a Staff Engineer and Scientist in the Heat Transfer Technology and Components group. There, he was responsible for developing and implementing advanced heat exchanger technologies as well as state-of-the-art design and simulation tools in the areas of energy efficiency, heat transfer, and fluid flow. Before Carrier, he worked for seven years at Delphi Thermal Systems, Lockport, NY, where he was engaged in the research, design, and development of advanced energy-efficient heat exchangers, primarily evaporators for automotive climate control systems. Before joining Delphi, Dr. Mehendale worked as a post-doctoral research associate in the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, where he designed and developed micro-scale heat exchangers intended for US military personnel in a project sponsored by DARPA, US Department of Defense.
Dr. Mehendale’s area of teaching and research interest and expertise is primarily in the thermal-fluids sciences, with emphasis on the design and optimization of high-efficiency energy conversion systems and heat exchangers, boiling and condensing flows, and two-phase flow distribution in heat exchangers, as well as alternate energy resources / technologies such as solar energy, wind energy, fuel cells, and biofuels.
In addition to teaching and research, Dr. Mehendale is a member of ASME, ASEE, and ASHRAE. He also serves as a reviewer for the ASME’s Journal of Heat Transfer and the ASME’s Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications.
- Phase change applications
- Boiling and condensing flows
- Two-phase flow distribution in heat exchangers
- Novel heat exchanger technology
- Heat exchanger modeling and optimization
- Novel thermodynamic cycles for cooling, heating, and power
- Alternative energy technology (solar, wind, biofuels, and others)
- High-efficiency HVAC and refrigeration systems
- Fluid mechanics
- Heat transfer
- Alternative energy
- Air-conditioning and refrigeration
- Mehendale, S.S., D.C. Adams, R.E. Miller. 2007. Flow Induced Noise Emanating from Evaporator Tube Plates, Proceedings of SAE World Congress, Detroit, MI, April 16-19, 2007.
- Kim, M.H., S.Y. Lee, S.S. Mehendale, and R.L. Webb. 2003. Microchannel Heat Exchanger Design for Evaporator and Condenser Applications, Advances in Heat Transfer, 2003, Volume 37, pp. 297-429.
- Mehendale, S.S., A.M. Jacobi, and R.K. Shah. 2000. Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer at Micro- and Meso- Scales with Application to Heat Exchanger Design, ASME Applied Mechanics Reviews, 2000, Volume 53, No. 7, pp. 175-193.
- Mehendale, S.S., and R. Radermacher. 2000. Experimental and Theoretical Investigation of Annular Film Flow Reversal in a Vertical Pipe: Application to Oil Return in Refrigeration Systems, International Journal of HVAC and R Research, 2000, Volume 6, Number 1, pp. 55-74.
- Burton, C.M., A.M. Jacobi, and S.S. Mehendale. 1999. Vapor-Liquid Equilibrium for R-32 and R-410A Mixed with a Polyol Ester: Non-Ideality and Local Composition Modeling, International Journal of Refrigeration, 1999, Volume 22, No. 6, pp. 458-471.
- Lee, J., Y. Hwang, R. Radermacher, and S.S. Mehendale. 2000. Experimental Investigations on Oil Accumulation Characteristics in a Vertical Suction Line, ASME IMCE, Vol. 3, Session on Heat and Mass Transfer in Heat Pumps, Division of Advanced Energy Systems-23607, New York, NY, November 2001.
- Mehendale, S.S. and A.M. Jacobi. 2000. Evaporation Heat Transfer in Mesoscale Heat Exchangers, ASHRAE Transactions 2000, Volume 106, Part I, pp. 446-452.
- Mehendale, S.S., A.M. Jacobi, and R.K. Shah. 1999. Micro- and Meso- Scales: Frontiers of Compact Heat Exchangers, International Symposium on Applied Optical Measurements, ed. Dieter Mewes, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, September 1999.
- Mehendale, S.S., A.M. Jacobi, and R.K. Shah. 1999. Heat Exchangers at Micro- and Meso- Scales, International Conference on Compact Heat Exchangers and Enhancement Technology for the Process Industries, pp. 55-74, July 18-23, 1999, Banff, Canada.
- Liu, T.Z., S.S. Mehendale, M.D. Mangriotis, A.M. Jacobi, M.A. Shannon, and D.J. Beebe. 1999. Flexible Microfluidic Polyimide Channels, Proceedings of Transducers ‟99, The 10th International Conference on Solid-State Sensors and Actuators, Institute of Electrical Engineers of Japan, June 7-10, 1999, Sendai, Japan.
- Mehendale, S.S. and R. Radermacher. 1996. Simulation of Hybrid Heat Pumps with Two- and Three- Stage Solution Circuits for High-Lift Applications, ASHRAE Transactions 1996, Volume 102, Part I, pp. 1101-1109.