- EERC 220
Associate Professor, School of Technology
Program Chair, Surveying Engineering
Faculty Advisor, Digital Mapping Enterprise
- PhD, Photogrammetry, State Land Organization University, Moscow, Russia
- MS, Astro-Geodesy, Academy of Engineers in Geodesy, Aerospace, Survey, and Mapping, Novosibirsk, Russia
Eugene Levin is an associate professor and program chair of surveying engineering, as well as the director of the integrated geospatial technology graduate program in the School of Technology at Michigan Tech. His areas of expertise are photogrammetry—the design, development, customization, integration, and delivery of off-the-shelf commercial and research software products; cognitive GIS; and human-computer symbiosis in integrated geospatial environments. Levin advised the Michigan Tech’s Aerospace Enterprise Engineering Team on developing Photogrammetric UAV.
Levin’s professional activities include serving as the regional director for Michigan’s Upper Peninsula Chapter of ASPRS and sitting on the editorial board for the journal GPS Solutions, published by Springer-Verlag in Heidelberg, Germany. He is also active in several professional organizations, including the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, the Society of Photographic Instrumentation Engineers, and the International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing’s International Commission Working Group IV/VIII, which focuses on the updating and maintenance of core spatial databases.
Levin’s research activities have included a study on railroad exploitation in permafrost areas in Russia—Mosgiprotrans, Novosibirsk, Omsk, and Moscow—for the Federal Transportation Institute. He has given an invited lecture at the Moscow State Land Planning University and an invited research seminar, ISPRS 3S Graduate Student Summer Seminar SSGA, also in Russia.
- Integrated geospatial technologies for sustainable development
- Mobile mapping platforms for geographical and environmental studies
- SAR- and LIDAR-based remote sensing and GIS
- Geosensorics, real-time networks of geosensors
- Human-computer symbiosis for knowledge extraction and expertise transfer
- Visual perception in remote sensing and GIS
- 3-D geospatial visualization and augmented reality
- Visual and automated feature extraction in multispectral and hyperspectral image interpretation
- Geospatial-sensor modeling and calibration
- Image processing and automated feature extraction from aerial and satellite imagery
- Automated systems for vision-based autonomous navigation and control of manned/unmanned robotic platforms
- Image fusion and analysis
- Photogrammetry of aerial and high-resolution satellite imagery
- Earth observation systems
- Geospatial technologies, data, and systems
- Global positioning systems
- Remote sensing
- LIDAR-, SAR-/InSAR-based remote sensing
- Geospatial 3-D visualization
- Geospatial imaging: perception and interpretation
- Introductory and advanced GIS
- Spatial analysis and modeling
- Spatial decision support
- Cartography and cybercartography
- Levin, E., A. Zaronwski, C. Cohen, R. Liimakka. 2010. Human-Centric Approach to Inhomogenious Geospatial Data Fusion and Actualization, Proceedings of the ASPRS-2010 Annual Conference, San Diego, CA, April 2010.
- Levin, E., A. V. Sergeyev. 2009. Innovative System Architecture for Spatial Volumetric Acoustic Seeing, SPIE, Defense and Security Symposium.
- Levin, E., W. Helton, G. Gienko, R. Liimakka. 2008. Eye-Movement Analysis in Visual Inspection of Geospatial Data, Proceedings of the ASPRS-2008 Annual Conference, Portland, OR, April 2008.
- Levin, E., G. Gienko, A. Sergeyev. 2008. Human-Centric Approach for Geospatial Data Fusion in Homeland Defence and Security Application Scenarios, 2008 SPIE Defense and Security Symposium, Orlando, FL, March 2008.
- Levin, E., S. Skubiev, A. Zarnowski. Innovative Aspects of International Collaboration in Development of Geospatial Curriculum and Research, Proceedings of the Land State University Research Magazine, Pages 85–98.
- Recipient of REF Grant – Michigan Tech
- Siberian State Geodetic Academy (Russia) – Fulbright Grants
- ASPRS—Certified Photogrammetrist
- SELA—Object Oriented Programming
- Sovinfiomsputnik—Processing of Russian Satellite Imagery