Remaining a Registered Student Organization
Guidelines on Maintaining Active Status
- Organizations must have 10 active members total, including officers, at all times who are enrolled students of Michigan Technological University carrying at least 3 credit hours.
- Registered student organizations must have at least one advisor who is a full-time regular (not temporary) employee of the University (faculty or staff). Organizations may appoint additional advisors who are part-time or temporary employees, or who are alumni or members of the community.
- Voting members or officers of an organization are limited to enrolled Michigan Tech students carrying at least 3 credit hours.
- Officers of an organization must have a minimum 2.25 grade point average, both cumulative and most recent semester, and carry at least 3 credit hours.
- The new student group is not officially registered until Student Activities receives and approves all of the required information.
- Your Involvement Link page is the official membership roster for the University. Changes in membership within the organization must be updated on Involvement Link immediately.
- Involvement Link is the official university source of information on student groups and is considered to contain the most up-to-date records. Groups assume the responsibility and liability for the content of their documents and information posted in Involvement Link.
- Organization profiles on Involvement Link are open and seen by visitors and must reflect the organization’s mission statement, goals and objectives.
- All organization who were registered prior to the current academic year must participate in the re-registration process.
- The re-registration check-list must be completed, signed and turned in to Student Activities by the first Friday in October.
- The re-registration checklist includes items such as updating your organizations officers and membership rosters, obtaining signatures from each of your organization's advisors, banking information, completing a Leadership Competency and Values Statement, and updating your constitution and inventory list.
- Annually, presidents and advisors are required to complete the training on Canvas as part of the re-registration process.
- Organizations are required to keep an updated inventory list on their Involvement Link page, and any items with a replacement value of greater than $500.00 must be tagged. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for tagging instructions.
- Constitutions must be updated every four years to remain a legitimate registered student organization.
- Organizations must follow the policies and procedures of the University. If a group is found in violation of these, an organization may be suspended and subject to other university discipline actions. The group and its members must remain in good standing with the university, including full compliance with any conditions, stipulations, or restrictions placed upon organizational registration. See Board of Trustees Chapter 7, Section 7.5 Student Organizations.