What is HuskyLead?
HuskyLEAD, a leadership development series for all Michigan Tech students. At Michigan Tech, we believe that leadership development is essential for all students to truly make an impact on campus and society. This program encourages all students from campus leaders and student organization officers, to individuals who just want to learn, to elevate their leadership skills by learning the best techniques, tips, and tricks for their personal, organizational, academic, and professional success.
What skills are built through participation in the HuskyLead Series?
The HuskyLEAD series focuses on five different leadership competencies:
- Self-Awareness: Part of strong leadership is learning about yourself – strengths, weaknesses, and personal values – and how to advance organizations and individuals using that self-knowledge.
- Teamwork: Cooperation and collaboration are important skills to learn as a leader. You will learn about how to use and navigate groups and teams to promote strong leadership.
- Communication: Leaders must understand the "how" and "why" behind communication in order to understand how others can best contribute, how to share information effectively with others, and how to send the desired message.
- Ethical Practices: The ethical practices of leaders are constantly challenged. Leaders must stay congruent with ethical principles and practices and the value of affecting others lives positively.
- Social Responsibility: As leaders, one of our goals is to understand our roles as members of multiple communities and how we can better the lives of those in those communities through direct and/or indirect involvement.
Fall 2018 HuskyLead Sessions
Tuesday, September 11 - "How Essential are Essential Oils, Expanded" - If you want to learn more about the use of essential oils, then you do not want to miss this hands on workshop. Peer Health Advocate, Hannah will show you how to create combinations of essential oils to improve focus, sleep, and reduce stress. Start your semester off right by attending the first HuskyLead being held in the DHH Ballroom from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM.
The presenter is Hannah Heikkinen, Wellness Peer Health Advocate.
Tuesday, October 23 - "Conflict Management" - Every person has a different way of handling and working through difficult situations. Join Sean Brown, Residence Life Coordinator in understanding your own personal conflict style and how to approach others when faced with conflict. Attend this HuskyLead being held in the MUB Alumni Lounge from 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM.
The presenter is Sean Brown, Residence Life Coordinator.
Tuesday, November 13 - "Failure is a State of Mind" - Failure can be as exciting as success. Discover how
to learn and grow from your challenges (even if you don't always like it). Join the
Waino Wahtera Center for Student Success in the MUB Ballroom B from 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM.
The presenter is the staff from the Waino Wahtera Center for Student Success.
Tuesday, December 4 - "Innovative Leadership" - Every person has the capacity to be an innovative leader, they just need to tap into their potential. Join Mary Jennings, Director of Programming and Development for the Rozsa Center for the Performing Arts, in this stimulating HuskyLead. Attend this HuskyLead being held in the MUB Ballroom B from 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM.
The presenter is Mary Jennings, Director of Programming and Development for the Rozsa Center for the Performing Arts.