What is HuskyLEAD?
HuskyLEAD, a leadership development series for all Michigan Tech students, stands for Leadership Education Accelerating Development. At Michigan Tech, we believe that leadership development is essential for all students to truly make an impact on campus and society. This program encourages all students from campus leaders and student organization officers, to individuals who just want to learn, to elevate their leadership skills by learning the best techniques, tips, and tricks for their personal, organizational, academic, and professional success.
What skills are built through participation in the HuskyLEAD Program?
The HuskyLEAD series focuses on five different leadership competencies:
- Self-Awareness: Part of strong leadership is learning about yourself – strengths, weaknesses, and personal values – and how to advance organizations and individuals using that self-knowledge.
- Teamwork: Cooperation and collaboration are important skills to learn as a leader. You will learn about how to use and navigate groups and teams to promote strong leadership.
- Communication: Leaders must understand the "how" and "why" behind communication in order to understand how others can best contribute, how to share information effectively with others, and how to send the desired message.
- Ethical Practices: The ethical practices of leaders are constantly challenged. Leaders must stay congruent with ethical principles and practices and the value of affecting others lives positively.
- Social Responsibility: As leaders, one of our goals is to understand our roles as members of multiple communities and how we can better the lives of those in those communities through direct and/or indirect involvement.
HuskyLEAD – Strengths Series
What is HuskyLEAD-Strengths Series?
The HuskyLEAD-Strengths Series will help students learn how to develop and apply their strengths for success in college and beyond.
The purpose is to identify and maximize the talent of college students to guide their personal, professional, and leadership development through the use and application of strengths-based sciences.
After identifying their strengths through the CliftonStrengths assessment, students learn how to leverage their strengths for specific outcomes including academics, major and career awareness, and engagement and wellbeing in college. The workshops help students understand their true potential and develop an individualized success plan to boost self-awareness, academic success and career confidence.
“When students not only know their strengths—but more importantly, apply them—the effect on their lives is transformational.”
–CliftonStrengths for Students
What skills are built through participation in HuskyLEAD-Strengths Series?
As a result of participating in the HuskyLEAD-Strengths Series workshops, students will:
- Demonstrate an increased understanding of individual strengths
- Demonstrate increased knowledge of others’ strengths, enhancing effective interpersonal teamwork skills
- Demonstrate an increased understanding of personal communication style
Fall 2017 HuskyLEAD Sessions:
Service Leadership Thursday, September 28, 6 p.m. - 7:00 p.m., Wads G17/19
Daring Way Wednesday, October 11, 4 p.m. - 5 p.m., MUB Ballroom B1
Ethics Wednesday, November 1 from 4 p.m. – 5 p.m., MUB Ballroom B1 OR Thursday, November 2, 6 p.m. - 7 p.m., Wads G17/19
Fall 2017 HuskyLEAD - Strength Series:
Lead with Purpose (CliftonStrengths for Students Part 1)
Thursday, September 14, 6 p.m. - 7 p.m., Wads G17/19
Wednesday, October 25 from 4 p.m. – 5 p.m., MUB B001
Understanding the Strengths Profile (CliftonStrengths for Students Part 2)*
Wednesday, November 8, 4 p.m. - 5 p.m., MUB B001
Thursday, November 30, 6 p.m. – 7 p.m., Wads G17/19
Applying StrengthsFinder (CliftonStrengths for Students Part 3)*
Wednesday, December 6 from 4 p.m. – 5 p.m., MUB B001
*The series is sequential and you must attend them in order.
If you have any comments or suggestions about HuskyLEAD speakers or ideas for future topics please contact Jonathan Davey, Coordinator of Student Activities at (906) 487-2831 or email email@example.com.