What is HuskyLEAD?
- HuskyLEAD, which is a leadership development series, stands for Leadership Education Accelerating Development. At Michigan Tech, we believe that leadership development is extremely important and essential for all of our students to truly make an impact on campus and society. This program encourages everyone from campus leaders and student organization officers, either aspiring and experienced, to elevate their leadership skills by learning the best techniques, tips, and tricks for not only the success of their organization but also for the real world.
- HuskyLEAD will offer meaningful programs surrounding topics that are important to leaders.
- HuskyLEAD will give you an opportunity to enhance your leadership skills set that are essential for the real world.
- HuskyLEAD will enhance your understanding and knowledge of strong, effective leadership.
What skills are built through participation in the HuskyLEAD Program?
- Self-Awareness: Part of strong leadership is learning about yourself – strengths, weaknesses, and personal values – and how to advance organizations and individuals using that self-knowledge.
- Teamwork: Cooperation and collaboration are important skills to learn as a leader. You will learn about how to use and navigate groups and teams to promote strong leadership.
- Communication: Leaders must understand the how and why behind communication in order to understand how others can best contribute, how to share information effectively with others, and how to send the desired message.
- Ethical Practices: The ethical practices of leaders are consistently challenged. Leaders must stay congruent with ethical principles and practices and the value of affecting others lives positively.
- Social Responsibility: As leaders, one of our goals is to understand our roles as members of multiple communities and how we can better the lives of those in those communities through direct and/or indirect involvement.
Download a full-size image of the HuskyLEAD Schedule Poster.
Spring 2013 Schedule:
· Utilizing Leadership Experiences in Your Job Search –Tuesday, January 22 – MUB Ballroom B
o Leadership Competencies: Self-awareness, Communication
o Learning Outcome: Participants attending this session will learn how to express and display on their resume and throughout the interview process all that they've learned from HuskyLEAD and being a campus leader.
· Financing and Budgeting for Your Organization –Tuesday, January 29 – MUB Commons
o Leadership Competencies: Communication
o Learning Outcome: Participants attending this session will not only learn about the opportunities available for student organizations to receive funding but will also focus on the ideas of collaboration and goal-setting to further their organization desires.
Winter Carnival (February 4-10)
· Balancing Time, Classes, and Your Organizations – Tuesday, February 12 – MUB Ballroom B
o Leadership Competencies: Self Awareness
o Learning Outcome: Participants attending this session will learn techniques to help them examine their priorities. Leaders will be able to identify and prioritize their commitments while learning more about various time and stress management techniques.
· Dealing with Difficult People – Tuesday, February 26 – MUB Ballroom B
o Leadership Competencies: Teamwork, Communication, Ethical Practices
o Learning Outcome: Participants attending this session will learn how to identify and approach members and leaders who may be putting their own interests over their organization's needs and values.
· How to Maximize Involvement Link – Tuesday, March 5 – MUB Ballroom B
o Leadership Competencies: Communication
o Learning Outcome: Participants attending this session will take a closer look at Involvement Link and learn additional ways to navigate it
and make the most of its features in order to better serve their organization.
Spring Break (March 9 - 17)
· Recruiting and Retaining Active Members – Tuesday, March 19 – MUB Ballroom B
o Leadership Competency: Teamwork, Communication, Social Responsibility
o Learning Outcome: Participants attending this session will learn that membership is more than just recruiting people to join their organization. Instead it's about retention and purpose. This session will focus on the purpose of the organization, marketing, branding, and membership development.