HuskyLEADWhat is HuskyLEAD?
HuskyLEAD, a leadership development series for all Michigan Tech students, stands for Leadership Education Accelerating Development. At Michigan Tech, we believe that leadership development is essential for all students to truly make an impact on campus and society. This program encourages all students from campus leaders and student organization officers, to individuals who just want to learn, to elevate their leadership skills by learning the best techniques, tips, and tricks for their personal, organizational, academic, and professional success.What skills are built through participation in the HuskyLEAD Program?
The HuskyLEAD series focuses on five different leadership competencies:
- Self-Awareness: Part of strong leadership is learning about yourself – strengths, weaknesses, and personal values – and how to advance organizations and individuals using that self-knowledge.
- Teamwork: Cooperation and collaboration are important skills to learn as a leader. You will learn about how to use and navigate groups and teams to promote strong leadership.
- Communication: Leaders must understand the "how" and "why" behind communication in order to understand how others can best contribute, how to share information effectively with others, and how to send the desired message.
- Ethical Practices: The ethical practices of leaders are constantly challenged. Leaders must stay congruent with ethical principles and practices and the value of affecting others lives positively.
- Social Responsibility: As leaders, one of our goals is to understand our roles as members of multiple communities and how we can better the lives of those in those communities through direct and/or indirect involvement.
SPECIAL LEADERSHIP EVENT: Success Summit to be held on October 8, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Most events held in Fisher 135
Fall 2016 HuskyLEAD Sessions:
- Tuesday, October 18, MUB Alumni Lounge - Strategies to Support Leaders Experiencing Burnout
- Tuesday, November 1, MUB Alumni Lounge - Lean Leadership
- Tuesday, December 6, MUB Alumni Lounge - StrengthsQuest
If you have any comments or suggestions about HuskyLEAD speakers or ideas for future topics please contact Maryann Wilcox, HuskyLEAD Coordinator at (906) 487-2402 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Past HuskyLEAD Topics
- A Husky's Guide to a Winning Semester
- Financing and Budgeting for Your Organization
- Industry Reps - What are They Looking For?
- Setting Up Your Settings for Success
- The Importance of Being Inclusive
- Turn Your Experiences into a Job Success
- The Career Services Advantage - Be a Student Organization Liaison
- Presentations that Work
- Unplug and Recharge! Learn self-care Techniques and Achieve Balance
- The Green Perspective: Learning Energy-saving Habits
- Lean Leadership: Achieving Leadership Excellence Using Lean Principles
- How Do I Grow My Professional Network? LinkedIn and Other Strategies
- Motivating Your Members
- Work Smarter, Not Harder
- Grow Your Membership: Effective Ways to Recruit and Maintain Members
- Change. Leadership, and the Art of Execution
- Leading People with Difficult Personalities